What The Hell Is Modern-Day Feminism?

What The Hell Is Modern-Day Feminism?

Plot twist: Feminism is not about victimizing women or hating men.

5141
What The Hell Is Modern-Day Feminism?
Marek Uliasz

As someone who enjoys being generally informed about the world, I try to read as many articles as I can every day. I read about things including politics, international conflicts, sports, local news and feminism. I read news articles, op-eds, letters to the editor, blog posts--anything I can get my hands on.

I look for points of views I disagree with, because I believe we cannot truly believe in something until we know and understand the other side. After all, how can you construct a well-informed argument if you don't know what you are arguing against?

I am often able to empathize with the opposing viewpoint. After all, we all come from different backgrounds, and therefore our differences in opinions are sometimes justified and understandable. What I cannot stand, however, is when people write articles that are lazy and misinformed.

Over the years, I have come across countless articles bashing "modern-day feminism," also known as third-wave (or in some places, even fourth-wave) feminism. Some guys write that they won't date feminists. There is an entire website dedicated to bashing feminism. Other writers encourage women to "Worry less about equality, and more about happiness."

Wait, what? Hold the phone.

First of all what the HELL is modern-day feminism?

Is it misandry?

Does it hate women who choose to be stay-at-home moms? Is it white-washed? Has it ruined chivalry?

Does it teach women to be professional victims? Is it even necessary?

Okay, let's start off with a few simple definitions. Beyoncé, can you help me out?

This is the dictionary definition of feminism, and any argument concerning feminism cannot claim otherwise. Therefore, if you try to define feminism as anything other than equality, you would be, by default, incorrect.

Why is it called feminism and not something like egalitarianism? Simple. Women are the ones being oppressed. The feminist movement is fighting to bring women up to the same level as men. It is not trying to give women more rights or opportunities than men.

Now, let's move onto what third-wave feminism is. Here is a short history lesson about the different waves of feminism. To sum up, each wave of feminism has focused on gaining more and more rights for women, and becoming more inclusive.

Feminism, in my opinion, works best as a retrospective movement. It should look back at its triumphs and failures, celebrating how far it has come, but also recognizing the voices it has left behind. While there may be different waves of feminism, its focus has been the same: equality.

Yes, okay. This is, in theory what feminism stands for. Of course, there will be people claiming to be feminists who are sexist, racist, homophobic or otherwise against the main pillars of feminism. Do not let these people define the movement. They are the outliers: no matter how loud they may be, they do not represent the equality feminists strive for.

At the end of the day, feminism works best as a united front. We should not divide ourselves into different groups based on race, political party, religion, social class or even country. We are all fighting the same fight, even if the issues we face may be different. That being said, we must offer each other support, and recognize that women face different levels of discrimination.

Audre Lorde, an African American feminist, penned it best when she wrote, "I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own."

Feminists fight for equality wherever they live, in hopes that people elsewhere will do the same. We fight all battles in order to achieve global equality--not just equality for our individual selves.

Feminism in the United States is not any less valid than feminism in countries such as Saudi Arabia, or other places where women do not exercise as many rights as women in America. It does not help anyone to argue about who is more oppressed, or what severity of sexism is worth fighting against. Instead, feminists need to focus on helping whoever they can, whenever they are able to.

If this means traveling abroad and helping end female genital mutilation teaching some of the millions of girls denied education, then kudos to you. If everyone who could do this did this, then the world would already be a much better place. If this, on the other hand, means taking a pledge to help end sexual assaults or voting for feminist candidates, then do not feel as if you have not contributed enough.

Every day we can do something as feminists to take steps towards gender equality. Educate others. Empower others. Speak up for others. Remind them that feminism is not just for women. It is for men too. It is actually beneficial for men to be feminists, and many notable men are already on board the feminist movement.

Why do we still need feminism? Here are some helpful sites if you are still convinced that gender equality has already been achieved.

Take a look at sexism that men and women face every day:

Violence against women statistics: http://www.un.org/en/women/endviolence/pdf/VAW.pdf

Women's issues in the United States: http://now.org/issues/

How women are treated unfairly worldwide: http://www.care.org/work/womens-empowerment

The truth is, it is extremely easy to find examples of gender inequality around the world. We observe sexism every day, even when we do not recognize it, but I digress. I am not here to convince you that sexism exists. I am not even writing this to convince you to be a feminist. I simply hope that I informed you about what feminism is, and consequently, what modern feminism is. You must make your own decision about whether or not you will be a feminist.

All that I ask is that if you choose to not be a feminist, do not let it be due to a misconception or fear of being labeled. Don't let the word "feminist" become a deterrent to the movement. At the end of the day, you know what principles you believe in. You know what you think is right, and you alone will decide what values are important.

I identify as a feminist because I appreciate what the women before me have fought for, and I will happily grab the torch to continue the fight for equality. I do not see myself as a victim, and I do not believe that stay-at-home moms are submitting to the patriarchy. I do not hate men, nor do I think that women are better than men.

I simply want to be given the same opportunities that men of my ability receive. I do not want to be discriminated against based on my gender, and I want to get the respect I deserve. I will not stand for being treated poorly because I am a woman, nor will I stand for getting preferential treatment because I am a woman. I want the world to be a better place for women now, for men now, and for children of the future.

The feminist movement has survived for such a long time because of its ability to adapt, and its refusal to give in to an inequitable society. It will continue to survive, with or without your support. By joining, you can help strengthen the movement, but know that if you oppose feminism, you will not weaken it. History does not remember the failures of the oppressors. It remembers the triumphs of the oppressed. Do you know the name of the woman who led the women's suffrage movement, or the person who arrested her? The loudest voice is not the most important--the last voice is.