How-To Deal With Having 'All The Feels'

How-To Deal With Having 'All The Feels'

We all get sad, angry, and stressed out. We all have feelings deep down inside of us. It's okay to give in and let them out.

71
How-To Deal With Having 'All The Feels'

I am a young girl, so naturally everyone thinks that I am too sensitive.

A friend bails on me? Tears.

I spilled my cup of tea? Tears.

Someone cuts me off in traffic? Tears.

I probably do cry more than anyone that I personally know, but I also smile more than anyone I know. And both are extremely okay.

What I've come to realize in the last few years is that having the ability to feel everything so deeply is beautiful. It's a wonderful thing to be able to be touched so deeply by someones words and actions and react to them. Whether it's a feeling of anger, sadness, happiness, or the feeling of stress, LET YOURSELF FEEL THOSE EMOTIONS.

I've been told before that I "love too much." As if that's a bad thing, people. I express my love and gratitude for people in waves of love. If you're in my life, whether coworker, friend or family, I will pour out endless amounts of love and happiness to you. It's just how I am, and it is okay for me to feel that love and want to share it.

Because of this, I've noticed that a lot of young adults try to not have feelings towards things anymore. Like, 'oh, we've been hooking up for 5 months but now you want to date my friend? I'm not sad about it at all.' Or 'oh I got a C on my midterm? Eh, who cares.' In some situations, not giving a **ck about a certain something is okay. But it's also okay and one hundred and ten percent to care. And I actually find it weird if you're a human being, of whatever age or gender, and you don't feel or care about anything. It's literally in our human nature to have feelings.

So why push them aside? Why put up a front on the way we feel, or don't feel? Why not just let our emotions take control?

Sometimes, I feel anxious. I feel overwhelmed, angry, excited. Sometimes I feel so happy that my cheeks hurt from smiling. And sometimes I am so sad that I feel like the world is actually caving in on my chest. But no matter what, I am always feeling something.

A lot of the time, I tell myself that I'm too busy to get worked up. I have a paper due at midnight, and laying in my bed and sulking is not on the agenda for this evening. I have a bad habit of never revisiting those unresolved feelings, and boy do they catch up to me. I will go weeks without letting my anger or sadness out. I will be constantly on the gogogo and never let myself crycrycry. Usually, this ends with a little situation (like the barista at Starbucks getting my order wrong) and me having a full-blown breakdown, right there, in the middle of the coffee shop. I'm not crying just because they didn't use almond milk, I'm crying because I didn't let myself cry a month ago when my friend essentially broke up with me. I'm crying because I got in a fight with my mom a week ago, and I haven't talked to her since. I'm crying because finals are in 2 weeks and I'm barely sliding by. I'm crying because I have feelings, and it is healthy to let my emotions out.

When I get sad, I try to remind myself that it's okay to cry. When I'm angry, I let myself scream and punch my pillow. When I'm stressed, I practice my breathing and do some yoga poses. When I'm happy, I do my best to make others feel happy too.

We just have to remember that we are human, and we do have feelings. We have to let them out every once in a while (more often than not) to feel like ourselves. If we carry it all inside of us, we will feel heavy and weighed down. We won't feel good or healthy. But the minute you let yourself just be, as a whole, feelings and all, the better you and your soul will feel.

Feel the waves of your emotions crash into you. Let them hit the shore line, take a deep breath in and exhale them right back out to sea. Just let yourself feel.