Fall Foliage Shouldn't Be Taken For Granted

If we don't take care of trees now, we won't have any left for the future.

52

It's the most wonderful time of the year...it's fall! The trees in New England are trading in their summery green leaves for shades of brown, orange, yellow and red. Streets from Connecticut to Maine are flooded with travelers alike that are hoping for the chance to see the beauty of fall foliage at its peak. Cameras are out, cars are pulled over every which way, while those of us who are used to it just drive by and scoff a bit.

We see the trees transform every year, what's the big deal? People overhype fall foliage way too much right? WRONG.

The natural world around us is a resource we cannot afford to just brush off because it's always there. We're losing more and more of our trees by the day throughout the entire world, and you can still see it right here at home. Try observing for gaps where there were once trees along the highway (I see them in Connecticut all the time.) That big tree in town that basically became an unofficial landmark? That's gone too. We see a tree as just a tree sometimes, we can easily plant a new one anytime and just about anywhere.

This kind of mentality needs to be put to a massive stop. Trees are a natural resource we will run out of if we do not take the care to watch out for them. They feed us clean air and apples, as well as offer us the lumber for our houses and throw some shade on a hot day. Trees are a life source for all humanity, along with our wildlife. Every living thing relies on a tree somehow, and it's a fact that many people tend to forget.

We have to educate ourselves. I'm fortunate to have taken classes for years teaching me about how important conservation is, but many people have never and probably will never take a class or read a magazine that talks about conservation and just how important and relevant it is. Trees are important to our economy and help people heal from mental and physical wounds. How can we lose something that does nothing but gives and give to the human race as it's always done since our prehistoric days?

The Connecticut Forest and Park's Association has multiple talks about our natural resources and wildlife around me, specifically, but there are places just like them in every state there to educate the public and make movements in the legislature to get better laws aimed towards conserving our natural world. Look at these organizations, donate, and help make a change.

We cannot allow for a future without fall foliage or any foliage at all. Our kids and grandkids and everyone down the line deserve to see the sights we get to see or travel to see. It's up to us intellectual and amazing humans to save what keeps us alive.

Next time you drive by those gorgeous red maple trees or burnt orange oak trees, be thankful.