Your Fairytale Is Out There, Just You Wait

All the frogs will be worth the Prince.

136
Gabby Orcutt

We all want a fairytale. That perfect love that rivals those of the rom-coms we hold so near and dear to our hearts. We want our own Chad Michael Murray running through the rain to find us. We want our foot-popping kiss straight out of Princess Diaries. We want our Prince Charming whisking us away into the sunset. We want our person.

But this is much more difficult to obtain than we would like to believe. Knights in shining armor don’t just swoop in every day.

In today’s day and age, meeting someone is hard. Everyone is so caught up in their own lives, in their phones, and in social media. It’s nearly impossible to just meet someone walking to class, or even in class for that matter. And if you do, let me know how you did that because you deserve a gold medal. Nowadays, most people don’t want a serious relationship, especially in college. And the ones that do, are hard to find. Our options are primarily left to dating apps that more often than not lead to nothing at all or disappointment.

Trust me, I know how hard it is to ward off the charm. We’ve all been there- caught up in the charism. But I’ll tell you where that got me - stood-up, waiting for a guy for 45 minutes. No one, no matter how cute, or no matter how charming, should be allowed to make you question your worth. I won’t lie to you and tell you that this situation didn’t suck, because trust me, it did. A lot. But it made me realize that I deserve to be treated with respect and if a guy doesn’t respect me enough to value my time and actually show up, then they don’t deserve me.

With my own personal experience, I tend to want the guys I can’t have. However, the ones I don’t have feelings for always seem to want me, which is quite the dilemma. It’s not like anyone isn’t worthy or good enough, aside from the guy who stood me up. He’s a jerk. It’s more that you can’t force feelings that aren’t there or ruin a friendship that means a lot to you. We’ve grown up in a society where we constantly are chasing this “aha moment” of love at first sight. That when you make eye contact with someone the fireworks go off, the birds start chirping, and the skies open up.

But yeah, that mostly doesn’t happen, at least not to me, not yet. But that's okay.

Sometimes, seeing my friends in their relationships is hard for me. They have someone who cares for them so deeply. I want that. But at the same time, I also won’t settle for less than I deserve. Certain people only want one thing, which we all know, and it usually tends to be the charming ones that sweep you off your feet. But no amount of charm should take away from how much you value yourself.

I have been waiting for my Prince Charming and I know he’s out there, somewhere. He may come tomorrow. He may come next week, or next year, or five years from now. There’s no way to know. But what I do know is that when my person finally comes, it will be worth it.

All the frogs will be worth the Prince.