Every Day Should Be #NationalDogDay

Every Day Should Be #NationalDogDay

Our K9 pals deserve to be celebrated.

16
Every Day Should Be #NationalDogDay
Hannah Tarwater

August 26th (known as National Dog Day) is set aside to celebrate our dog friends. This is a fun "holiday" showing off our dogs on social media. I enjoy scrolling through my feeds to see that they are filled with pictures of wet noses and furry faces staring back at me.

#NationalDogDay is a needed calendar event... but I think that every day should be National Dog Day.

Our K9 pals deserve to be celebrated, petted, treated and loved each and every day! They are our companions, best friends and walking partners. Their presence calms us down when we are anxious, provides a listening ear when we ramble on about our days and they act as the official greeting committee when we return home. They provide us with countless memories, good times and joy, so it is the least that we can do to celebrate them as much as we can. I'm sure they'd love the extra treat or walk around the park.

Dogs fill our days with laughs, entertainment, moments of rolling our eyes at their antics but most importantly, love. They are creatures who give their humans unconditional love and loyalty 24/7.

Dogs have been a big part of my life. I've never not known life without them. Since I'm the daughter of parents who were dog obedience trainers (my Mom also being a registered Veterinary Technician), dogs are family. When I was a toddler, I spent many days at dog shows. I assisted in instructing dog training as a 3rd grader. I taught our dog, Penny, how to do basic commands when I was 11. So it was natural that I formed into the dog person that I am today. (Sorry, cats.)

Over the years, I've been blessed to have some pretty amazing dogs in my family. My first dog was Choctaw, the laid-back Greyhound, who helped me learn how to walk by letting me grab onto his back and pick myself up off the ground. He also acted as the "patient" as I tested out my pink Barbie medical kit on him. Debbie, our Australian Cattle Dog, was in our family, along with Chockie, but sadly I don't have many memories of her since she passed when I was a baby. Next, Emma our spunky Australian Cattle Dog came into my life. She let me dress her up in party hats to celebrate her July Birthday, but would also swipe and eat my Crayola crayons whenever she could. We grew up together and whenever I think of her, I think of my childhood. A trip to the local animal shelter resulted in bringing an adorable orange and white Britney Spaniel home when I was 8. I distinctly remember Penny putting her paw on my shoulder in the shelter and we knew right then that she was meant to be with us.

Penny and Emma were the dynamic duo and I had many fond moments, play days and cuddle sessions with those two.

It was a difficult month for my family when the both passed away. We wanted to wait awhile until we got another dog to bring back home. For the first time ever, I experience what it was like to not have a dog running around the house.A spontaneous outing to Petco later filled that void.

At their Saturday adoption fair event, we met the cute black and white (with the signature tan eyebrows) Whippet/terrier mix that soon became our Rudy. He was a ray of sunshine and hope to the dark days of loss. Rudy is the definition of positivity. I swear the dog cannot NOT be happy.

He provides many smiles to everyone that he can and quickly tries to become friends with all of my friends.

Rudy has curled up to me when I've been sick, been my nap buddy and never fails to stay up until I get home after a late night out. He is family and I'm glad that we adopted him.

I sadly missed doing the #nationaldogday post in Rudy's honor this year. I know, I'm a horrible person.

My fingers are crossed that an extra treat (or two) will make it up to him instead.