Emi's 12-Step Guide to Not Losing Your Mind During Midterms

How to Keep Calm & Carry On During Midterms

21
Unsplash

With life and family and friends and work and everything else that may be going on in our lives, adding midterms to the mix makes it all feel fifty times worse. But never fear, here are 12 ways to help make it through one of the most trying weeks of every college students life!

1. Get up offa that thang!

This may seem like a really simple piece of advice, but you have no idea how much it helps to just get up and walk around as a short break. Because we spend so much time in desks and chairs or sitting down some other way, it also helps with circulation to get up and move around from time to time rather than sitting for hours. You don't have to do anything outrageous like go on a run, but maybe just walk around outside for a few minutes, do a jig to your favorite song, stretch or some short yoga...anything really to get yourself moving for a bit.

2. Step away from the screen, and put your hands up

Simply taking a break from staring at a screen for hours is not only good for your eyes, but good for your psyche. If you still need to do work, try switching over to good old fashioned paper and pencil to work out problems or outline papers. It does help to actually write things out by hand to help put things together.

3. Treat. Yo. Self!

Do you want to eat some candy? Eat that candy! Unwind with an episode of your favorite show? You watch some Game of Thrones! Paint your nails? Wash your hair? Play some video games? You do whatever you need to do! (In moderation, of course.)

4. Turn off your phone

While this may seem like something an old person on the news might complain about, your phone can really be distracting when trying to focus on work. Turn it off while you're working so you can focus exclusively on what it is you're doing.

5. Make sure to eat something

And not just food, but good food. Like, some stuff that's good for you. Making time to start the day with a good breakfast like eggs and oatmeal can really help you get through the day or wake you up after an all-nighter.

6. Listen to some music

Put on some relaxing or motivating music to help you get through that paper that might be stressing you out. Not everyone likes Classical Music or New Age, but it does help with nerves and can improve your mood.

7. Laugh it up

Laughter is one of the best medicines! Take a minute to watch a funny video on Youtube or check Snapchat to destress and laugh it out.

8. Talk it out

Sometimes, when you're really stressed, you just need to talk to someone. Don't be afraid to talk to a family member, friend, or even a school counselor about what's going on. They're there to help you!

9. Nap time!

Sleep is especially important, especially now. Even if you have to pull an all-nighter or go to be late, try to get some naps in here and there when you can. But always remember to set that alarm!

10. Rubba dub dub!

Take a bath or shower for as long as you might need to. Use your favorite soap or shower jell to really just get out of your own head and in a space where you can cool down. Remember, you never outgrow bubbles!

11. Unleash the craft!

Take some time to pick up that hobby of yours to destress during your break. Whether its knitting, painting, doodling or the like doing something you enjoy for a short while can put you back in the right mindset.

12. Escape campus

I really can't stress this enough: staying on campus too long is like being a fish in a bowl, and we all saw Finding Nemo. If you can, get off campus to do something different or to just clear your head. And if you don't have your own transportation, check to see if your school is doing any group trips or the like and go with them.