Eleven Things I'll Miss About Having A Roommate

I may even miss her seven alarms.

16
Carlee Calfee

Going into freshman year, I was a little nervous about sharing a small room with a virtual stranger, but it turned out to be great and made my freshman year that much better. While I’m excited to have my own room, and a closet that will actually be able to hold all of my clothes next year, there are some things I will miss about having a roommate.

1. Sharing a closet

By sharing a closet I don’t mean the actual physical space because we both know that it was way too small to hold all of my roommate's and my clothes. (Probably why my roommate kept her shoes under the sink??) It was nice, though, having double the clothes to choose from. Shout out to my roommate for all the times I borrowed her sweaters and dresses.

2. Getting ready together

Whenever my roommate and I were going out or to some event together, it always meant getting ready together, which meant reassuring each other for the tenth time that our outfits were cute, telling funny stories while we did our hair and listening to some good throwback music, which made getting ready a lot more fun.

3. Being greeted when I came home

It was always nice coming home and hearing, “Yay, you're back!” or “I have some stuff to tell you!”

4. Watching Vines

Probably my favorite thing from the year was when my roommate and I would sit in silence scrolling through vines and stop and show the other one certain vines we found funny, which ultimately always ended up with us laughing for 20 minutes about a six second video of a dog.

5. Taking weird snap chats of each other constantly

When you live with someone, chances are they will do weird things like dancing to the song “sexual healing” for half an hour which makes for a great snap chat story and laugh.

6. Late night food runs

I will really miss getting ready for bed at 2am only to be asked, “I’m craving ________. Want to go?” The answer was always yes, even if one of us had work or class early in the morning.

7. Running errands

Both of us were always down for a trip to Walgreens or Target (especially Target), and going with someone made the task of buying cottonballs much more exciting. However, it also usually ended with us both buying things we didn’t need (we encouraged impulse buys) and spending more money then we should have, which is something I will miss, but probably be better off without.

8. Three am conversations

Half of the time we were sleep deprived and delusional, so the conversations made little to no sense, but they were always funny and were one of my favorite things about freshman year.

9. Having someone keep me in check

It was nice to have someone who knew my schedule and knew me well enough to remind me to turn in papers and forms or to yell at me to stop watching YouTube videos/vines and study for the test I had coming up.

10. Venting

Whenever something was bothering me, it was nice to have my roommate right there to talk to, rather than having to text or call someone.

11. Always seeing your best friend

Even when we had busy days and even though we had different schedules, we’d still always see each other (obviously we slept eight feet away from each other) and be able to talk about our days and lives. It may have been a mess at times (literally our room looked like a war zone most of the time) but it was always fun, and I’m going to really miss that.

I'm excited for next year and having my own space, but I know I will miss having a roommate. I may even find myself missing being woken up by her seven alarms.