Why Kansas Headlines My Early College Hoops Top 25

KU’s deep bench and overwhelming size make them the clear title favorite for next year.

367
YouTube | College Sports

It's never too early to speculate! If you're like me, whenever your favorite team bows out in the tournament, you're automatically looking forward to next year. Here, we'll be taking a look at my Top 25 teams for next year as things stand right now.

1. Kansas

Kansas does lose All-American Devonte Graham, sharpshooter Svi Mykhailiuk, and, most likely, Malik Newman to the draft, but will return with a strong core of LaGerald Vick and Udoka Azubuike. Not just that, but the Jayhawks will finally get 16-17 AAC Player of the Year Dedric Lawson, his brother KJ, and Charlie Moore eligible.

Oh yeah, and they’re number one in KenPom’s preseason ratings too. KU’s deep bench, and overwhelming size make them the clear title favorite for next year.

2. Duke

Duke will lose virtually their entire starting lineup from 17-18 but will bring in another excellent recruiting class that features R.J. Barrett, Cam Reddish, and Zion Williamson. Duke has all the talent in the world, the question is whether or not they can gel enough to make a deep tournament run. With Coach K out there, I bet they do.

3. Villanova

Villanova’s consistent success has been legend and their winning tradition will continue into next year. If Jalen Brunson returns to chase a third championship, look out. Even if Brunson leaves, Villanova will be a force to be reckoned with. Watch on December 15, as Villanova takes on Kansas inside Allen Fieldhouse in a Final Four rematch.

4. Auburn

Auburn will most likely return all of their players in a season where they captured a share of the SEC Title above Kentucky. Pearl will have a strong roster that’s sure to compete.

5. Gonzaga

As long as Killian Tillie remains in Washington, Mark Few will have another great team that could help guide the Bulldogs to another WCC title. If this team gels as well as I think they will, look out for Gonzaga come March.

6. Kentucky

Another year, another reload for Kentucky. Unfortunately for Big Blue, the past few years' Kentucky teams have struggled with chemistry. This is the key to Kentucky performing well. I say the break-through to find that chemistry this year.

7. Virginia

After a heartbreaking loss to UMBC that will forever torment Cavalier fans, Virginia will still return Kyle Guy and, of course, the AP Coach of the Year Tony Bennett. The Cavaliers have cemented themselves as a perennial power.

8. Tennessee

After perhaps the most overachieving season of last year, Rick Barnes' squad took the SEC title and earned SEC coach of the year honors. Returning all of their roster (minus James Daniels,) the Vols will once again compete for the SEC title.

9. Nevada

In one of the greatest comebacks in tournament history, the Wolf Pack will depend on the Martin brothers for most of their scoring. With only a six-man rotation, however, look for coach Musselman to add some depth in the late signing period.

10. North Carolina

UNC loses key contributors Joel Berry and Theo Pinson, but still return Luke Maye and get great pieces in Nassir Little and Coby White. Never count the Tar Heels out.

11. Michigan

Star player Mo Wagner will most likely leave for the draft after an electric season as well as Abdur-Rahkman, but John Beilein will have this team ready to go as he always does. Michigan could struggle early, but look for them to rebound come March.

12. West Virginia

Press Virginia loses anchor Jevon Carter, and three-point monster Daxter Miles, but still returns Sagaba Konate as Esa Ahmad, both powerhouses. West Virginia will once again compete for a Big 12 title.

13. Michigan State

The Spartans lose a lot this year, saying goodbye to Miles Bridges, Jaren Jackson, Gavin Schilling, Tum Tum Nairn, and Ben Carter. They'll keep Winston, Nick Ward, Langford and Matt McQuaid. It could be an up-and-down year for Izzo and his squad.

14. Kansas State

The Wildcats, fresh off an Elite Eight run, return 100% of their squad from last year, including First Team All-Big 12 forward Dean Wade, pro-prospect Barry Brown, and tournament darling Xavier Sneed. KSU will have a great, consistent team for next year.

15. Clemson

Even with sharpshooters Gabe DeVoe and Donte Grantham gone, Clemson will still rely on their excellent defense and rim protection from Marcquise Reed, Shelton Mitchell, and Elijah Thomas. Clemson will once again have a team capable of making the second weekend.

16. Loyola-Chicago

Loyola loses nobody to graduation or the NBA and Clayton Custer will continue to prove he’s one of the best players in the nation. Though a weak conference could hurt their NCAA tournament season, the Ramblers could be the new Wichita State.

17. TCU

A team flying under the radar, top player Jaylen Fisher will return from a knee injury as well as the best three-point shooter in the Big 12, Desmond Bane. The loss of Brodziansky will hurt, but TCU will go as far as Jaylen Fisher will take them.

18. Virginia Tech

After taking a loss to Alabama in the tournament, a game Va Tech could have won, the Hokies will look to play to their potential that they showed in their wins over Duke, North Carolina, and Virginia last season. Look for a good year from Virginia Tech.

19. Maryland

Mark Turgeon certainly loses a few key pieces, but Anthony Cowan shows tremendous potential and Bruno Fernando looks like an NBA player. After a disappointing season in 17-18, the Terrapins will rebound.

20. Florida State

Only one win away from the Final Four, Florida State will return a lot of pieces, looking to be in the NCAA tournament again next season.

21. Oregon

The Ducks take in the No. 2 recruiting class in the nation which should help them overcome a disappointing season in 17-18.

22. UCLA

It’ll be the second year in a row that UCLA has put together a top-five recruiting class and that talent should lead to good things for the Bruins.

23. Florida

The Gators will hopefully return Jalen Hudson to a squad who was very up-and-down last year. Florida’s defense was top-notch last year and, if they can develop some consistency, they’ll be a scary team.

24. LSU

While the Tigers certainly struggled in 17-18, this squad is getting the fifth-ranked recruiting class in the nation and returns Tremont Waters, who was average 16 points per game last season. Look for LSU to surprise.

25. Purdue

Though the Boilermakes lose key pieces in Haas and Edwards, Matt Painter's squad still returns enough to be very relevany in 18-19