being an emt

Duty Calls, And I'm Ready To Answer

The station on River Road...

366

The station was centered on one of the most boring streets in Maryland. It was a long road that had a slow speed limit and hidden cameras, set up to catch you in a moment of inattention. However, the old station stands valiantly on the dull street, almost asking for impossible challenges to come its way.

When you first enter the fire station, a mixture of oatmeal and disinfectant hits you sharply and although the smell isn't worthy of capping into a bottle and labeling as a perfume, it does have a comforting sense to it. The appearance of the somber building is also not one of its best traits - the floor is an awkward brown color and the walls are a faded grey, that could be mistaken for a dusty coated layer.

After an informal interview and a station meeting, I was inducted as a probationary member. I was to be an emergency medical technician (EMT) in training for the months to follow. Before coming into the station, I had doubts about the legitimacy of my dream to be a surgeon in the future and fears of finding out if those doubts would become a reality.

I sat in the day room, impatiently waiting for the ambulance tone to ring, signaling my very first call. After waiting for 3 hours and 45 minutes, only 15 minutes from the end of my shift, I heard the alarm that immediately caused my stomach to churn, and my heart rate to increase. I heard shouting from the Engine Bay, urging me to hop onto the ambulance.

As I ran onto the ambulance, I threw on a pair of latex gloves, put my hair into a ponytail, and buckled my seatbelt. I yelled to my Sergeant, asking him what the call was. He told me that it was a Basic Life Support (BLS) call for an elderly woman who had fallen in the bathroom and hit her head. Although I was slightly disappointed that I didn't get a more serious call to practice my skills I had learned over the past few months, I was excited to put my basic training into action.

After a series of questions to check the elderly woman's well-being, taking her vitals, and loading her on the ambulance, we transported her to the hospital. This brought an end to my very first call. While riding back to the station, I couldn't help feel accomplished as I brought the small, crooked, and toothless smile back to the woman who I barely knew.

When I was younger, my family enjoyed Saturday nights playing various board games, however, our favorite was Monopoly. Although age was certainly a factor in losing, I recognized that my brother had a strategy that was courageous and risky but nonetheless, allowed him to win every game we played. I was extremely reluctant to spend my money on buying properties; however, my brother would buy every single property he landed on. Once he had everything needed, he would bargain with others, giving them what they needed, in return for money that he would use to build houses. This was a great game strategy but also showed me that taking every opportunity you can miss out on experiences that could help you succeed.

Throughout my life, I have forced myself to try new things and take every opportunity I could. It started with soccer in the first grade and then the list just grew from there; basketball, ballet, karate, singing, piano, flute, playing the guitar, and so many more. Even though I realized I was horrendous at most of them and dropped it, I have found my greatest passions within attempting to try new things. Because I took this approach with interviewing to become a probationary member at the fire station, I have not only found another passion but my interest in becoming a surgeon has been confirmed.