Drunk Driving Is Not A Skill

Drunk Driving Is Not A Skill

"It's okay, I've got this."

374
Drunk Driving Is Not A Skill
Wikimedia

"I was so drunk last night, I don't know how I drove home."

"I'm good at drunk driving, don't worry about it."

The fact that a human being can put these words in this specific sequence with such ease is disgusting to me. The fact that I've read these words on more than one occasion on my phone screen from people I am friends with and people I interact is even more disgusting. I'm good at drunk driving? No. Hell no. You're not good at. Every time you make it home alive when you drive drunk you got lucky. For ANYONE who has ever had the audacity to say these sentences or anything like them, let me try and sound it out for your stupid, thick skulls. Drunk driving is NOT a skill. It's a dumbass decision. And what makes it worse is that it's one of the only problems in the entire universe that is 100% preventable. But do you know why it hasn't been prevented? Because this world is filled with thick-headed, stupid dill holes that honest to God believe they're invincible. News flash, you're not invincible, you never have been invincible and you never will be invincible. However, there is a possibility that you've always been an idiot.

I can't even keep track of how many times I've overheard someone start a story with: "I drove home so drunk last night, I have no idea how." What's even worse about this statement is that nine times out of ten, the person saying it is laughing like it's some sort of amazing accomplishment that you got behind the wheel of a vehicle when you couldn't even see straight. People then laugh at these stories and go along with it and I'm still trying to figure out why. How can you just accept the fact that these people in your life are making these incredibly stupid decisions and have nothing to say about it? I've come up with the conclusion that people just don't understand it. Drunk driving has never affected their life, so they don't know how to react to situations that involve it. These same people always ask me why it bothers me so much when people brag about driving drunk and act like it isn't an issue. It's a huge deal to me. It's because of drunk driving that I don't have an important person in my life anymore. It's because of drunk driving that I had to sit at a funeral and say goodbye to a friend that had decades to live. It's because of drunk driving that almost every day I think about the day I received the news. It was a situation that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.

So yes, when the situation of drunk driving comes up, I get a little touchy. Especially when it's people that are close and important to me. The thought of receiving the same news I received years ago again is heart-wrenching. I can't comprehend how sleeping on someone's couch or having someone else drive you home is "inconvenient." Really? Sleeping on someone's couch is inconvenient? You want to know what else is inconvenient? Dying. Killing someone else. Swerving into oncoming traffic because you can't stay between the lines. That is inconvenient.

It's common sense not to drive while drunk. It's earth-shattering to observe how many people don't have common sense. It's disgusting how many unnecessary deaths occurred result of drunk driving. Stop acting like a hard ass and stop bragging about how well you can drive drunk. It's not a skill and you are not an expert.