A Promise Worth Keeping

A Promise Worth Keeping

Drink. Drank. Drunk. Gone.

29
A Promise Worth Keeping
tumblr.com

I was wearing my favorite dress. It was an off the shoulders tight red dress from Forever 21. I was wearing it with black wedges that I picked up off the clearance rack. I felt unbelievably confident.

I have been waiting for this party for weeks now. In fact, it is what got me through mid-terms. The best part was the party was being held at the most popular frat house on campus!

I drove a few of my friends.

This party was off the charts. It seemed like everybody on campus was here. Next thing you know I have, what I promised myself, would be my one and only drink because I was the designated driver for the night.

One drink later turned into two. Which lead to four. And by the end of the night I was downing my ninth drink. Basically, I got too caught up playing beer pong and flip cup to even realize how much I was taking in.

It was a night for the books.

As the party started to cool down, my friends and I decided to head out, and as the designated driver, I drove home.

I don't even remember getting behind the wheel, just like I don't remember speeding, or remember crashing the side of a car when I had a stop sign that I didn't see.

I woke up the next morning and did not remember a thing. I had a cut across my forehead, a broken wrist and cuts and bruises everywhere. I was in so much pain.

A doctor told me that I needed my stomach pumped from all the alcohol I consumed and my shoulder needed to get relocated.

A police officer later came into my room and told me that I had killed four people. Four! And two were in critical condition.

I killed two of my friends. People I promised to take care of and love through thick and thin.

I told them that we would be friends forever. Forever? I just took that away from them. We literally went to the movies every first Friday of every month. We were each others' sisters. We were inseparable. Our parents became friends because of us. It was us against the world, until I took their lives away from them. I never wanted to be a bad friend. I told them the truth instead of lies when asked, I helped them with all their boy problems and I helped them with homework.

I ended up killing the girls I would kill for.

The two in the other car that I killed were a couple. They had just been married and were going to their honeymoon. They promised each other the rest of their lives. The girl's name was Jennifer and she was in her wedding dress.

I turned the happiest day of Jennifer's life into her last.

As for me, I promised myself one drink. I promised my friends I would be the designated driver. I promised my friends that we would be friends forever. A couple promised each other eternity.

I promised myself I would work hard to pass all my midterms, become a nurse and buy my parents their dream car.

Oh my God. My parents. All I've ever wanted to do was make them proud. But now there daughter was a murderer. I can't even begin to understand how my mother will feel. Her baby girl-- a murderer? My father's little girl, the girl who studied hard and would never hurt a fly-- a murderer?

My nursing dream was done. My life was practically over.

And for what?

For me to throw a ping pong ball into a red Solo cup? For me to flip a red Solo cup after chugging it all? For me to down six beers and four cups filled with liquor?

It wasn't worth it. A drink is never worth a life.

The story you just read is not a true one, but I wrote it to help spread awareness on not only underage drinking, but drinking and driving.

Please be smart. No drink is worth a life.