The flavors of Phoenix: a look inside Phoenix's open-air market

A walk through Phoenix's Downtown Farmers Market brings out all the flavors of Phoenix.

43
Photo by Salma Reyes

If you like organic foods, local businesses, and baby goats, then the Downtown Phoenix Farmers Market is the place for you to be! Every Saturday from 8 am to 1 pm, the parking lot of Phoenix Public Market is lined with vendors selling the best of local foods, art, and everything in between. From the farm to the marketplace, Arizona farmers bring an array of their freshest produce for visitors to choose from. The Phoenix Public Market brings together local farmers and businesses to create a welcoming space for the community to come together and enjoy Phoenix's vibrant atmosphere.

Established in 2005, this weekly open-air market has bridged the gap between farmers and consumers by bringing the freshest produce from valley farms straight to the paper bags of eager customers.

The Westward Ho overlooks the farmers market.Photo by Salma Reyes

Local farmers take pride in their work and their contributions to the community. Farmer and business owner, Hussein Al Hamka, is a regular at the farmers market and his produce is a customer favorite. Hussein Al Hamka runs Al-Hamka Farm & Bakery alongside his family to bring the freshest produce to the Phoenix area.

Hussein Al Hamka and his family left their 75-acre farm in Iraq and after two years in a Syrian refugee camp, settled in the Phoenix area in 2009. Since then, they have worked to grow their family farm into a thriving business. Growing a variety of fruits and vegetables, the Al-Hamkas have provided Arizonans with a healthy array of foods year-round.

Al-Hamka Farm & Bakery is a family business that has become a staple to the Phoenix community.

As Hussein Al Hamka puts it, "A family farm is more than just a business, it's a lifestyle."

A family of immigrants, they have built their business from the ground up and stand as an example of the hard-working Arizonans that make this community as strong as it is.

It is not uncommon to spot an adorable member of one of the valley's farms like the goat pictured below. In fact, goats are not the only animals present at the market. Visitors are free to bring their dogs to walk alongside them as they shop. The farmers market is very pet-friendly and allows a space for these four-legged friends to take part in all the excitement.

Baby goats at a farmer's stand.Photo by Salma Reyes

A vendor's display of hand-painted planters.Photo by Salma Reyes

Artists are aplenty in Arizona and the Downtown market is one of the many places where visitors can enjoy all the art that Phoenix has to offer. Musicians, painters, sculptors, and many more come together to share their art with the community.

A local artist displays their work.Photo by Salma Reyes

Will from Brazil performs.Photo by Salma Reyes

Photo by Salma Reyes

Local musicians, like guitarist "Will from Brazil" come to share their craft with the community. His music is known for its blend of traditional Brazilian rhythms like Bossa Nova and Samba with classic American genres like Soul and R&B.

Live performances are a must at the Downtown Phoenix Farmers Market. On this day, Will's music filled the streets as visitors shopped.

The Downtown Open Air Market is a perfect space to support local businesses and get in touch with the community. Shop local, Phoenix!