5 Dorm-Friendly Meals That Don't Suck
food

5 Dorm-Friendly Meals That Don't Suck

There's almost nothing better than waking up on a Saturday morning and making homemade pancakes or making brownies from scratch for your friends.

75
https://unsplash.com/photos/Ycg-qnn7XEM

I LOVE to cook. That was one thing I missed most when I moved into the dorms. Technically, you can still cook pretty much anything in the community kitchen, but packing up all your pots and pans and ingredients to haul through the building gets a little annoying after a while, which is why I decided to try and get creative with my microwave a little more often. Here are a few things I like to cook in my dorm when I'm in a rush or just feeling lazy.

Smoothie Bowls

I just hopped on the smoothie bowl trend, but let me just say it's the best. It's perfect for a quick breakfast or even a late night snack when you want something sweet yet light. Plus, it's healthy! Also, I know people make fun of smoothie bowls because it's literally just a smoothie transferred into a different serving dish but..shut up.

For a dorm, you'll just need one of those mini blenders (like a Nutribullet). I like to add about 1 cup of frozen bananas, strawberries, and blueberries along with a few tablespoons of vanilla yogurt. Then I top it with granola, strawberries, coconut shavings, and honey. The great thing about this recipe is it's so quick and you can obviously use any fruits or toppings you want.

Microwave Sweet Potatoes

I was always under the impression that you had to bake sweet potatoes in the oven, but the microwave works just fine if you're in a rush. Just wash it with cold water and use a fork to poke holes into all sides of the potato. Microwave it for about 5 minutes, put your favorite toppings on it, and you're done! (p.s. cinnamon is the best sweet potato topping)

Scrambled Egg/ Omlet In A Mug

This recipe is soooo easy and convenient. crack an egg into a mug and stir. If you want scrambled eggs, just beat a little bit of milk along with salt and pepper into the eggs and microwave for about one minute stirring halfway. For an "omelet," put whatever your favorite filling is into the stirred eggs (ham, spinach, cheese, etc.) and stir that up as well. Microwave for about 1 minute and you're done!

Avocado Toast

I don't want to hear what any of you avocado-hating people have to say, this is one of my favorite foods so I am so happy it's dorm-friendly. The easiest way to get the avocado is to buy the mini Wholly-Guacomole packets at Walmart. Spread that out onto a piece of toast and top it with whatever you like. If I'm eating it for breakfast, I like to make the scrambled eggs in a mug and put that on top with salt, pepper, and basil.

Fried Rice In A Mug

All you'll need for this is jasmine rice, frozen vegetables like peas or broccoli, a large mug, soy sauce and salt and pepper. Mix rice vegetables, and salt and pepper into a mug and microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Then add soy sauce and you're done! It's definitely not hibachi fried rice, but it's something

Related Articles Around the Web