Don't Yuck Someone Else's Yum

Don't Yuck Someone Else's Yum

Don't do it. Like, ever.
1776

There's only one thing in this world that I despise more than people who abide by the speed limit and that's people who “yuck other people's yum.”

Hear me out, because you’re probably thinking that this isn't that big of a deal. You’ve probably told someone that the food they're eating is gross, and we all have. I’m here to tell you why that is the worst thing you could do, ever.

When you tell someone else that what they're eating is gross, you are not only incredibly rude, but ignorant too. Just because you don’t like a food does not mean that it is gross, and certainly does not mean that you should proclaim its grossness in front of the person eating said food.

So here’s what I’m trying to teach you: Don’t yuck someone else’s yum.

When someone is sitting at a table eating eggs and you happen to think that eggs are just about the grossest thing in the world, keep that thought to yourself. When you broadcast the fact that eggs are disgusting, that is so incredibly rude to the person eating those eggs, because, essentially, you are saying that they are disgusting by association. Don’t do this.

And don’t think that I’m going to leave the biggest offenders out of this just because they (we) are self-proclaimed animal rights activists. I’m talking about vegetarians here.

As a vegetarian myself, there are many foods that I could live without. However, you will never ever (ever) see me posting a video on Facebook depicting how animals are slaughtered and then given to you as food. This is both incredibly disturbing on everyone's newsfeeds, but also another way to yuck someone else’s yum. Just because you won’t eat meat does not mean that nobody else can.

This doesn't only go for food, by the way. Yucking someone else’s yum includes, but is not limited to: telling people that their favorite show sucks, exclaiming that your child's or parent’s music is the equivalent to nails on chalkboard, and telling someone that his or her dog is ugly.

Hey, I like watching the Kardashians and just about every "Real Housewives" known to mankind show. Just because you don’t enjoy good, mindless TV does not mean that you should tell me just how much these shows blow. I like them, you don’t. Don’t yuck my yum.

This one is for all those families who decide to take a drive in the car together. When your dad decides to play music with incredibly long electric guitar interludes, take a deep breath and bear the next two minutes. Just because you don’t like your father’s choice of music from the '70s does not mean that it is bad music (just slightly annoying music.) On the other hand, when you decide to play some Kygo in the car, and your parents proclaim that your music is just “annoying noise,” you have every right to tell you parents not to yuck your yum.

Lastly, when you call my beautiful dog a rat, you are not only being obnoxious and rude, but also ignorant. Just because you may not like Chihuahuas does not make them an ugly breed. I respect your decision to purchase a Standard Poodle and will not tell you that your dog looks like a giant loofa, so I expect that same respect.

The point is that just because you have an opinion that is different than another person's does not mean that your opinion is, in any way, more valuable than the other opinion. Just because you don’t like something does not mean that everyone should dislike it. This doesn't matter, whether you are 10 or 80. This rule applies to all ages. When you yuck someone else’s yum, you are being a terrible person.

So, don’t do this. Ever.