Why You Don't Need Editing

Why You Don't Need Editing

Be yourself—no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong.
15

Stet. Let it stand.

Stet is a verb used in editing that is "used as an instruction on a printed proof to indicate that a correction or alteration should be ignored" (Dictionary.com). In other words, stet means let it stand; don't change what is there.

We are in the midst of a changing world and we can sometimes feel pushed to change along with it. Peers and neighbors may make you feel as though you are not enough or that you need to make changes in your life in order to become "more popular" or "more fun".

Life becomes a game of editing; marking one another with red pens with comments like "change this part," "awkward," "reword," "make this more interesting." Therefore, we then find ourselves making revisions and turning in new and improved papers. We delete sentences and add in others so that those red marks disappear and we can overall 'get a better grade' or have a better reputation. Although this technique may help you in English class, it can hurt you in life.

What if you yourself were marked with one single marking: stet; let it stand?

Don't let the world and people around you influence who you are and how you wish to live your life. If you're yourself no one can tell you that you are doing it wrong. Don't be scared of making mistakes. Embrace the parts of yourself that others may want to change for these are the things that make you unique and special.

You see, your life is not something that can be edited and rewritten. Rather than looking at your past and noticing mistakes and forming regrets, look at where it has brought you. If you are reading this right now and are not happy with where you are at don't look for ways to edit who you are, instead keep writing your story.

Life is not about going back and making things better; life is about looking forward and making the most of what life has thrown at you. Trust me, I know life is not easy and that it seems as though some parts of our stories should be edited or deleted. It also sounds tempting to copy/paste passages into our own personal stories. I encourage you, however, to stand up tall and turn your head in the direction of your dreams. Look at your past but don't stare. Acknowledge your past but don't try to edit it.

This is a hard reality to accept. Life doesn't always go our way. I personally see many ways that I could change myself in order to fit in more or be more popular. Whatever it is in your life that makes you feel as though you are not good enough... don't give it power. If you give in you are compromising a part of yourself that is special.

Mark yourself with only one word; stet. Don't change who you are for those around you. Be yourself. If you are yourself no one can tell you that you are doing it wrong.

You are you for a reason. You do not need to be edited.