I Don't Support #GiveElsaAGirlfriend

I Don't Support #GiveElsaAGirlfriend

And I sure as heck don't support #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend, either.

140
I Don't Support #GiveElsaAGirlfriend
The Guardian

Recently, young "Frozen" fans have taken to Twitter with the hashtag #GiveElsaAGirlfriend. This hashtag is the calling cry for a campaign to specifically have Elsa be the first openly gay Disney princess (er, queen), and in general promote more LGBT+ representation in movies. Having more LGBT+ representation in movies is a great idea — it would promote acceptance and would provide young people with a character to identify with. Despite all this, though, I think #GiveElsaAGirlfriend is a crock of sh*t.

I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of "Frozen." However, I'll acknowledge that the movie does have it's charms. "Frozen" blew everyone's minds when it dared to change the normal princess-movie formula by declaring that romantic love is not necessary for happily ever after. Anna and Elsa were able to find happiness without a man and with their love for each other. This was — and still is — a very big deal. So what I can't wrap my head around is, why would you want to give Elsa a girlfriend when "Frozen"'s shtick is all about not needing a romantic partner? It doesn't make much sense to me.

What also doesn't make sense to me is #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend. While this hashtag has the same intentions, I have different complaints about it. Most of the time, the fans who are asking for Cap to have a boyfriend are looking at his best friend Bucky Barnes or fellow Avenger Tony Stark to fulfill that role. However, all three of these characters have already been firmly established as heterosexual. Changing their sexuality in the middle of their run in the Marvel Cinematic Universe just doesn't make sense; Marvel is known for setting up surprises in advance, and giving these men several female love interests is not the way to do it. (As you can probably tell, I am not a "Stucky" supporter. Just because Steve and Bucky are BBFs doesn't mean they're gay. Also, Bucky is mine. I claim that beefcake for myself. Steve can't have him).

Since I think the character choices for these #Give___AGirl/Boyfriend campaigns are terrible, I took the liberty of finding some possible alternatives that people can root for.

Dory

Okay, this one is pretty much impossible to accomplish (unless Disney pulled a fast one on us and already did it) since "Finding Dory" comes out next month. But think about it! Dory is already a beloved character and there is no reason she could not be gay; if she were, the inevitable homophobes would be faced with turning against one of their favorite characters. Also, she is voiced by none other than the fabulous and gay Ellen Degeneres, which would be perfect.

Cruella de Vil

Although Cruella had a husband in the novel, I don't believe she did in the classic animation "One Hundred and One Dalmatians." At the beginning of the film, Cruella and Anita Radcliffe were friends, but she was quick to end the friendship when she couldn't have her dalmatian puppies. Perhaps Cruella had feelings for Anita, and after years of heartbreak knowing that Anita loved Roger this was the last straw. Now that Cruella is getting a live-action retelling (just like Maleficent did), played by the lovely Miss Emma Stone, this is the perfect chance add in a new detail about her like this.

Moana

Moana is the star of a new Polynesian princess movie slated to come out this November. Other than the fact that she is a navigator, we know next to nothing about her. She is not a character with a following or a history. Because of that, if Disney gave Moana a girlfriend, we would have to fall in love with her as is.

Andy

Although not the main character of "Toy Story," Andy plays an important role as the owner of the toys. Even though he gave up his toys and gave them to Bonnie at the end of "Toy Story 3," who is to say he couldn't stop by for a visit in the 2018 sequel "Toy Story 4" — with a boyfriend? We haven't ever seen him with a love interest before, and with him going off to explore in college, who knows who he might fall in love with?

Any Big Hero 6 character

Okay, I know this one doesn't have a confirmed sequel. However, I and a lot of other people are holding on hope that we will get a sequel to this very unique Disney film. In Big Hero 6, no one has a love interest, but I have seen people on the internet attaching different sexualities to each character in the film based on their personalities, even to the point where they assert that none of them are straight. While I find that last bit highly unlikely, I do get a gay-vibe from some of them.

Dash

Assuming that the upcoming "Incredibles 2" will feature the family a few years later, Dash will likely be old enough to start dating. As with some of the other characters I've picked out, Dash is already loved and has no sexuality assigned to him. And plus, he's a child superhero — every young LGBT+ kid could have a hero to look up to who is around their age.

Falcon

There is no precedent in the comics or the movies for Falcon being gay. But he has also not had a love interest in the MCU (and I haven't found anything about a love interests in the comics on Wikipedia, either), so that leaves him open to anything, in my opinion. Plus, Falcon just seems like the perfect sassy gay friend. Maybe I should start the campaign #GiveFalconABoyfriend?

Elektra

Elektra is a female superhero that was in Season 2 of Marvel's Netflix series "Daredevil." She and Daredevil were in a heterosexual relationship before she was killed. However, in the comics, she is eventually resurrected. In one of the many alternate realities of Marvel, she was an assassin who had a lesbian relationship with one of her clients. If she is resurrected, she has the potential to become one badass LGBT+ character.

Poe Dameron and Finn

BECAUSE LOOK AT THEM THEY'RE PERFECT. Ahem. Aside from my obvious fangirling, "The Force Awakens" intentionally broke boundaries by not casting a white man as one of the new trio. Why not break more by making two of them gay? For each other? Please?