How to keep dating
Dating

Don't EVER Stop Dating The One You Love

It's the little things that keep a relationship healthy and full of life.

1160
Don't EVER Stop Dating The One You Love

Two things can kill a healthy and happy relationship: time and complacency.

Of course, many other things can harm, hurt, or tear apart couples, but the two mentioned above do it quietly. They do their dirty work and we don't even know that something rotten is going on.

It's only after that we are able to look back and see where we went wrong. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

My pastor frequently reminds us to "date our spouse." This doesn't only apply to married couples, though, because every couple experiences this cycle. At first, this new relationship is amazing. We've all gone through this. It's like nothing else in life matters (especially not your money) besides this new wonderful, hot person you just met. They make you feel all warm and happy inside. But eventually, the new wears off. The wrapping paper is torn up and wadded up. And you are left with this real person, whom you still love, but not everything is all sunshine and rainbows anymore. And they certainly aren't perfect and don't listen even when they say they are (And all the ladies said Amen).

Now of course you still want to be with this person. If you are only looking for the "next best thing", then I hope your future kids never pick up their Legos before they go to bed. But if you're reading this and you are serious about your relationship, whether marriage or dating right now, then you must understand this: Don't stop SEEKING.

Yeah you might be dating. You might have the "one." You might be the luckiest guy/girl in the world. You might even have bought/received a ring. You might be married. You might have children on the way and intense cravings (or driving around every night to fulfill such cravings-p.s. Sonic closes at ten and pregnant wives prefer certain types of Cherry Limeade; get it earlier). Your living room might be full of laundry with kids running to and fro from sports practices, friend's houses, and pool parties. You might be married for 20 plus years and now starting to look at retirement options.

Wherever you find yourself in life with the one you love, it is SO EASY to fall into complacency with her/him. But you must push yourself to continue the romance. Continue to surprise and thrill. Continue to be polite and make time for each other (that's really easy to say but takes a lot of time and effort). It takes two to make a healthy relationship work, and in this crazy-busy world that we live in, it can seem like everything is a distraction/hindrance.

Below is a list of little and big things that you can do to keep dating your spouse/significant other. Doing one romantic thing a week won't hurt you or your wallet. They will be written from a guy's perspective but I'll try to make them work for each gender.

-Go on a walk / Play a board game / Make dinner for the other / Leave romantic Post-It notes all over the house / Sing a song (My wife actually hates when I do this one, so it might be hit or miss) / Make Ice Cream Sundaes / Write letters / PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY / Go out for dinner and get Dollar Menu / Go out for dinner and tell the waiter it's her birthday (Okay don't do that one, but it's a good laugh) / Actually get a real gift for her birthday or anniversary / Get her flowers for no reason at all / Get her flowers when you done screwed up (Seriously, it's not brown-nosing; she's expecting it) / Do a Bible study or devotion together and pray for each other / Don't ever get too old to hold her/his hand / Open the doors for her (not because she can't, but just because it's polite) / Keep saying "I love you", even if you don't like them at the moment

Ladies, I can't speak for all guys, but I'm pretty sure if you either watch football, go hunting/fishing, or play video games with him, you'll have succeeded.

Dating should never stop. Don't let it.