I'm A Dog Lover, But Please Don't Try To Pass Off Your Pet As A Service Dog

If you're going to get one, please respect the rules.

74
Youtube.com

Like many people in the United States, I work in an establishment that only allows trained service pets in the doors. This is due to the fact that many kids that we serve may have severe allergies to dogs and their parents do not want them to have to worry about having allergy attacks when they're having fun at the carousel. In the summer, we are an open-air building and lots of people come up to the carousel I work in from hanging out down at the river and try to bring their dogs inside. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore dogs and all kinds of four-legged friends, but that doesn't mean that I won't enforce the rules that my place of employment has me enforce. Basically, we have two main rules:

1) Only trained service pets are allowed inside. Comfort and regular house pets are not allowed.
2) If it is a trained service dog, it has to be on the ground with a leash or vest clearly stating that it's a service pet.

The second rule is the one that people most often have trouble with. A couple of fairly elderly people came in the other day with a long-haired Pomeranian clutched in the husband's arms. Julie, the lady working the front desk of the carousel, politely stated that "unfortunately, we cannot have pets in the building." The couple, in unison, both replied "it's a service pet." While Julie and I both knew that was not true because it was not on the floor and it did not have a vest or leash, we let them pass on through with their yappy little do.

Even though we allow service pets in the building, we don't necessarily allow them on the ride. When the couple came up to me (who was operating the ride that day) and wanted to bring the dog on, I stated that we could not have any pets actually on the ride. I've had people insist on it before and the dog has either freaked out and started barking or gotten away from the eyes of their owner and jumped off of the moving platform, which is obviously unsafe.

When I pointed out that we couldn't have pets on the ride, the gentleman decided he would take his ride token back and watch his wife while he held the dog. At one point, the guy put the dog down, tied it to a chair, and walked closer to take pictures of his wife on a horse. During this, the small dog began barking very loud. That's another reason I knew this wasn't a service dog. Service dogs are trained to act like they aren't there, and if you tell them that you're going away for a second, they should be fine.

As a person who absolutely ADORES dogs of all kinds, I love the fact that service dogs are available to those with disabilities who need them. I think that dogs are so unbelievably intelligent. If you're going to get a service dog, please understand the rules and be respectful of the establishments employees that you attend with your dog.