Always Do What's Best for You

Always Do What's Best for You

It's not selfish, no matter what others might say.
1707

Some people think that you are selfish when you do what's best for you. People seem to think that doing what is best for you makes you a bad person because it hurts others, but what about the people who are hurting you? Should you just let people continue to hurt you and stay in a situation that you don’t want to be in so that you don’t hurt them? The answer is no, you shouldn’t.

I’m not telling you that you should jump overboard as soon as things start getting bad. That’s not what I am saying at all. Don’t jump overboard until the ship is sinking because there’s still hope that things will be fixed and it will float again. But there also comes a point where you have to go overboard, or go down with the ship.

If things get to the point where you are worried about yourself and how the situation is hurting you, then do what is best and extract yourself from it. Whether it’s leaving one place for another, ending toxic relationships, or following your dreams and leaving behind those who don’t believe in you, do what is best for you if you feel that it is necessary.

Ultimately, this is your life, no one else’s. You are the one that has to live with your choices. You are the one that matters most in your life. I know that may seem selfish, but that's just the truth of it. If you aren’t happy in the place you are in your life, do something about it. Do what it best for you.

I know it isn’t easy. Sometimes doing what is best for you, what is right for you, can be the hardest thing in your entire life. But it’s worth it. Your happiness is worth it.

The point of life is to be happy and content. So work towards that. Don’t stay in unhealthy environments because that isn’t making you happy. You aren’t content in those environments, so don’t punish yourself by staying there.

People are going to say that you are selfish, and you know what? Let them. They don’t know how you feel. They can’t understand why you are doing what you are doing, but that shouldn’t stop you. You are the most important thing in your life, because it’s your life, not someone else’s.

I used to think that taking care of myself, worrying about myself, and doing what was best for me, was selfish. But someone told me recently that looking out for your well being isn’t selfish; it’s human. And he was right.

I needed to take care of myself a tad bit more instead of always putting everyone before myself. I needed to worry about myself instead of what everyone else thought about what I was doing. And most of all, I needed to do what was best for me, no matter how hard it was, or how “selfish” people were going to think I was.

So be human.

Be human and take care of yourself and make sure you are OK.

Be human and worry about yourself everyone once in a while.

Be human and do what is best for you, because it isn’t selfish.

It's human.