Attention seeking vs representation in the film industry
Politics

ATTENTION SEEKING VS. REPRESENTATION DILEMMA

Focus is in the Film industry.

72

The film industry as whole is known for lack of diversity, especially in the casting of characters to play various roles. For the longest time, lead roles for movies have had a specific look. Bearing caucasoid characteristics gives one an upperhand of landing a role in the movies. There it is, I have said it!

Apparently, Marvel studios has promised to include more people of color and the lgbt community to its future films. This news was not received well in a facebook group I am involved in. I am going to summarize the comments posted as follows.

1. The whole idea feels forced.

2. This seems like an agenda.

3. Why is there a lot of attention seeking nowadays?

4. What is the sense behind this?

5. No one cares.

6. "Those people" do not buy comics (I assume this comment is targeted towards the Lgbt community)

7. I can't watch this.

8. This is unnecessary.

9. In the next 5 years, no one will be watching marvel.

10. Lgbt people will burn in hell.

11. Why does marvel want to turn people.

12. Its not a big deal.

These comments, and many more left a bitter taste in my mouth. I wonder why is there an issue with bringing diversity into the film industry? It most certainly isn't an agenda but a way of showing people in real life.

We as human beings come in very many shades of color, races and creed. Having to see people in movies representing our diverse beings is a step in the right direction. This whole attention seeking notion is therefore unwarranted.

Attention seeking involves acting in a way that elicits validation from others. In this case, there is no such thing. People of color, and the Lgbt do not seek validation, all they want is representation. Being in the shadows is a form of discrimination as well as being rendered voiceless. Seeing diversity on silver screens invokes one to dare to dream.

In conclusion, I would like to solve this dilemma by stating that representation matters. Attention seeking has no grounds, it is a baseless argument brought up by people who do not want to see change.

You can as well check out my other works on my blog at www.supertechwritings.com