A Discussion About Rape

A Discussion About Rape

"...Their short skirt or drunken state of mind was no invitation for you to help yourself to their body. You violated them."

626
A Discussion About Rape
Huffington Post

Rape is rape. It does not matter if the victim initially says yes and then changes their mind, if they normally say yes, or if they do not say anything at all. Might I add, if a person is unconscious and you force yourself on them, that is rape. I'm dumbing this down because apparently, society does not understand what is classified as rape anymore.

Apparently, prison time is not a justifiable punishment for rape. It is a "steep price to pay."

Apparently, having nonconsensual sex with an unconscious female in an alley by a dumpster is not rape. It's "20 minutes of action."

And apparently, not being able to enjoy a steak or your favorite snack anymore because of the severe emotional impact you are experiencing as a rapist is just too much.

If you haven't realized by now, I'm referencing Brock Turner's case. I have a few things to say to victims of rape and also rapists themselves.

To the victims,

I am so incredibly sorry that someone chose to violate you in the greatest form possible. My heart hurts knowing that a man's touch will likely frighten you for years to come. I am embarrassed to know that instead of our schools teaching youth to control their sexual desires, they demand girls to cover their knees and shoulders. I am sorry that you are blamed for the evil act another person forced on you. It was not your fault. I pray that when you tell your husband, boyfriend, father, or brother that you were raped, you do not feel shameful. You are a worthy, beautiful, inspiring creation of God's, and you deserve none of what has happened.

I ask that you stand tall, take time to heal, and go. Go on to be great, because that is what you were destined for. Not some coward's "20 minutes of action."

Now, for the rapists.

That is exactly what you are - a rapist. Regardless of whether you are caught or spend time in prison, you will carry that title with you until the day you die. Understand that instead of finding a nice girl, asking her on a date, falling in love with her and building a life with her, you chose to rape someone. I ask you, was it worth it?

The physical, emotional, and spiritual pain another is experiencing is your fault. You did that. You scarred another human being so deeply, they have wept at night in their bed. They have awoken in the middle of the night reliving the nightmare that was once their reality.

You violated them. They did not ask for it -- they did not want you. Their short skirt or drunken state of mind was no invitation for you to help yourself to their body. You violated them.

You are a cowardly human being and I hope you realize you have just completely shattered another person's world.

Society, please wake up. Realize we should not have to teach our youth to protect themselves against rape. We need to teach them not to rape. Rapists are criminals -- I don't care how young they are or how bright their future once was. Let's put the bad guys away and heal the souls these people broke.

Rape is rape.