Discuss This At Thanksgiving!

Discuss This At Thanksgiving!

There is so much to say when gathering; start with these things...

28
Discuss This At Thanksgiving!
tao-wellness.com

Thank God, Thanksgiving is just a blink away. Being at the end of November, it seems like time has flown right past us. Thanksgiving provides a much needed time of rest and rejuvenation for college students, teachers, and all other people in need of a break. It is a beautiful time of the year that allows us to enjoy the transition from fall to winter with our beloved family members and friends.

Going home for the holidays is always a nice treat. if you are away from home, it seems as if the people around you take the time to show you extra love and send intentional invitations to their homes. These wonderful times around the dinner table are priceless moments to catch up with your loved ones.

There may also be some problematic conversations because of the recent election, family drama, and other difficulties that come with family/friend gatherings. The following Saturday Night Live skit from Thanksgiving of 2016 is an extremely exaggerated example of the possible awkward conversations or situations that might arise.

Thankfully, Adele's song "Hello" was able to bring some comic relief. Depending on your personality type and the structure of your family, you might need some sort of plan like the little girl who used the song to unite everyone. If you and your family are up for talking about anything and everything, perhaps you just want some other ideas to share with them. Either way, here is a list of things to discuss and recollect for conversation over your Thanksgiving meal this year.

1. Share gratitude

This is the no brainer topic of discussion each Thanksgiving. Each person typically goes around the table and shares what they are thankful for. There is so much to appreciate even in the midst of the most difficult situations. But we often don't find the time to reflect on all of the blessings in our lives. For that reason, sharing them with your loved ones is a beautiful way to take the time reflect and appreciate all things.

2. Share your vocational experiences

If you are a nurse, share what you can about how you care and help heal people. If you are in retail, share the experiences you have had with customers and co-workers. If you are a professional driver, share the sights you have seen on the road or the people you have come across. If you are a teacher, share the way in which you are able to use your knowledge to prepare students for their future. If you are an engineer, share the ideas you are coming across and how they might benefit others. As a student, you can share the things you have been learning in and out of your classes. Perhaps, you recently had an athletic experience that you'd like to share.

I know I'm hoping to share my teaching experiences with my family. Perhaps I'll show them a mini Spanish lesson (this will help those in my family who don't know Spanish learn something)!

Whatever you're doing, take the time to share it with the people around you and give them a sneak peak at what your daily life looks life.

3. Discuss relationships

Family gatherings are always a good time to catch up. Depending on your family, it might be a good time to share how you relationships have developed. Share how you've grown closer to friends that you'll have for a lifetime. Voice how you've grown closer to Jesus.

You can also discuss any dates you've gone on or other romantic interests. It is surely MORE THAN okay to be single; it's just nice to update loved ones if there is a special someone in your life if you haven't yet. This may also be the time that you share with your family that your engaged or expecting a baby. Having all the family together makes this a good time to share these joyous, relational life events.

4. Discuss current needs

Although Thanksgiving is a time where we share our deepest gratitude around a feast, we should not neglect present trials in our lives. Let your family know how they can support you (pray for you, help you, offer guidance, etc.). This doesn't mean you are being a burden, it means you realize that you have a loving and caring community that you feel comfortable sharing your life with.

5. Discuss your hopes and dreams

If you don't have astronomical news to share, you can always share what you hope to happen in the future. What are you goals, dreams, hopes and passions. Do you wish to find a new job? Do you hope to move to a different state for an educational or professional opportunity? Are your passions inspiring you to make a certain change in your life?

6. Spread encouragement and love

When we share all these sorts of things, no doubt there is an opportunity to encourage one another as well! Take time to lovingly, intentionally listen and encourage others.

7. Share laughter and embarrassing stories

You can talk about what type of potato each person as described in this article. You can share stories about times you have been somewhat embarrassed. For example, recently a "friend" of mine was energetically teaching in front of middle schoolers. When she finally had time to make it to the ladies room to pee, she realized her zipper was completely down. She hoped that the random giggles in the previous class were unrelated... These sorts of stories are always fun to tell, so share them!

All in all, there are so many amazing reasons why gathering around family is wonderful. Topics for discussion are just a tid-bit of what your time together comprises, but you certainly should make the time to discuss the things in life that are on your heart and mind.

I am praying each reader has a blessed holiday season!