Things Learned In Fresh Thyme

Things Learned In Fresh Thyme

Working at a local indoor market called Fresh Thyme this summer has been a pleasure and a place of learning.

220
Things Learned In Fresh Thyme

Working at Fresh Thyme Market this summer has been a pleasure. I have gotten the chance to meet some wonderful people, measure my level of strength and learn lots of random things. For that reason, I want to share some of those things I learned! Here are the top ten:

1. Rise and Shine

I knew I was a morning person prior to working at Fresh Thyme. However, I am not used to talking to very many people in the morning. I had to transition into the routine of getting up around 5:30 AM, going to work, talking to my co-workers, and smiling while meeting customers' needs. Eventually, I enjoyed getting a head start on the day as I tried to give people their first smile or laugh of their day ahead.

2. Working Pallets

I was not too familiar with this vocabulary prior to working in retail, but I quickly picked it up. While working in a store, you must receive shipments that arrive on semi trucks in order to stock shelves. So, store associates must unload pallets and put all items on the store floor. This can be exhausting, requiring the strength to lift 50 lb bags of grains, nuts and beans. I enjoyed the challenge because it is a good feeling when you work a pallet and get rid of it (like checking something off of your to-do list).

Side Note: My dad is a truck driver, so I got to see another side of what he does by being a part of the receiving process.

6. Getting Older

A few different customers have brought their age to my attention. They have commented on the different aspects of getting older: thinner skin, more scrapes & bruises, loss of muscle & flexibility, etc. One customer even told me in a kind, gentle voice, "Getting old sucks." I'm usually surrounded by younger people at college or at work because our store is mainly employed by young staff members (high school, college students, and college graduates). Thus, when I have the chance to chat with older generations of people, I get to hear and observe how getting older may or may not be the greatest thing. Trying not to only listen to a few people's viewpoint on aging, I asked family and friends who are getting much older than I am what they think about getting old, and they didn't think it was so bad!

Therefore, I decided to believe that getting older is what you make of it! If you take care of yourself and set a positive mindset on the life you want to live, you will find more enjoyment in whatever point of life you're in.

3. Stretching Is Key

One day at work, an older man was telling me about the increasing frequency of bumps, bruises, and scratches that come along with age. He also said that his muscles tend to tighten up more than they used to, so he has learned to stretch daily. He said that stretching each day does wonders for the body! He even recommended a book on stretching (there are a lot of different t). Being on my feet all day, this was advice that I was willing to take. I also recall my running friends telling me about their wonderful experiences with stretching. So, when I stretch I can see how much my body needs it because I feel much better after. It's to see that I am always getting new health tips and recipes from customers and co-workers!

4. Warning When Wearing White!

The uniform at work is rather flexible: green Fresh Thyme shirt with nice bottoms (jeans, khakis, black denim, etc. as long as there no holes). One day, for the first time, I decided to wear white pants to work because I thought through a scenario that happens every once in a while where I carry bags of flour and get white powder on my jeans. I assumed any flour wouldn't be visible and that I am typically a clean person. However, (big however) I didn't foresee the scenario where my co-worker asked me to help him move a large container of Michigan maple syrup that spilled all over the counter, my pants, new shoes, and my shirt! The only thing missing was syrup all over my face and hair to make it a scene out of a movie. That was the last time I wore white pants to work.

Note: He had never asked me to help him lift anything before except for the one day I wore white pants. I learned my lesson.

5. Comfy shoes

Wearing comfortable shoes is essential because in order to keep a positive attitude, it helps to avoid aches and pains. So, wearing shoes that don't place a heavier burden on your feet is a marvelous investment. Make sure to choose comfort over fashion (you could end up spilling syrup or other liquids on your shoes anyway).

7. Co-workers!

Thankfully, I have had the pleasure of working with great co-workers! They have been giving, caring and supportive as we have worked through busy and tiresome days together. The environment co-workers create certainly makes or breaks the job as well as your level of enjoyment when going to work.

8. Discount and Freebies

Working at Fresh Thyme, I have the pleasure of receiving a 15% discount on my groceries! It certainly makes a difference in the long run as a college student counting every nickel and dime. I also have been blessed with some free food every once in a while!

9. Be Nice To Others

Working all day on my feet, on the go, and constantly meeting the needs of customers reminded me that a long day with long, tiring shifts are difficult. Whenever I see a worker at another store like Meijer or Walgreen's, I want to show them as much love as possible (without being too awkward) because I can relate to them and their difficult experiences dealing with quirky customers and problematic products.

10. Chase Your Dreams and Enjoy The Journey

After hearing some of my co-workers' stories, I have been reminded that working at Fresh Thyme is just a pit stop on my journey to teaching. In whatever job or situation you are in, it is a chance to develop and learn for what your future holds.

11. "I Yam What I Yam!"

My work shirt reads "I Yam What I Yam!" which is a punny way of summing up the fact that I am me. I change, but I stay true to who I am (Romans 12. I allow myself to shine through by giving encouragement to my co-workers, helping them out when they need it, genuinely smiling at customers and not being afraid to laugh at myself! No matter what I do I want to glorify God. My shirt allowed me to embrace who I cam as a daughter of the one true King.

Perhaps you can relate to these points as an employee or customer! We can all be reminded of the people that help us behind the scenes at grocery stores. May we show God's love to each person we encounter.