The Difficult Feeling Of Making A Choice With Love

There has been a huge trend on whether love is a feeling or a choice. If you ask a teenager this question they may say that love is a feeling and you don't have a choice of who you fall for. If you ask a married or divorced person, their answer may be different. Love comes in all shapes, all sizes, and in all different forms, yet I still question if my heart chooses to fall in love or if it just can't help itself.

I find that sometimes, even though I do not know if love is a feeling or choice, I do know that usually, you grow feelings for someone you technically shouldn't like. However, you do have a choice whether or not to pursue that person and act on your feelings. Liking someone you aren't supposed to such as a friend's significant other, a person you know who will hurt you, an older person, a co-worker, or a bad influence, makes it more difficult whether you are choosing to have those certain feelings.

Of course, when you love someone, you choose to build and work on a relationship. You choose to do things for the person you love, choose to surround yourself with their friends and family, and choose to devote yourself to your one and only. But can you really choose what your heart wants? For example, you don't choose to have anxiety or get to choose what family you are born in to. Thinking with your head, heart, or gut gives you three options to help you choose your decisions but sometimes you either have good or bad feelings about someone or something and can't really explain why. So how is choosing love any different?

If you take the popular book and movie, "The Choice," written by Nicholas Sparks, the main character finds her true love which turned out to be her neighbor. She had a boyfriend throughout the time she was falling in love with someone else and had to make the choice whether or not to leave him. She chose her neighbor Travis and broke up with her boyfriend. Yes, that was a choice, but is falling for someone you shouldn't a choice or feeling? Later on, Travis must make the hardest choice of his life, if you're wondering what it was, check out the movie.

If someone makes you laugh, makes you look forward to the next day, and makes you feel like you're actually worth something, how can you not grow to like them? Are you choosing to grow to like them? If you are surrounded by that person almost every day due to a certain situation, you cannot really choose not to see them, why would you if you enjoy their company? So many questions have so little answers. All I know is that I truly feel like this one person was introduced to my life for a reason at a specific time and it's a shame that nothing more can prosper because technically I should not even like them in the first place. I feel as if the situation I am in has caution tape surrounding my decisions.

The beautiful thing is that at the end of the day, my choice is my own and I have the right to make whatever choice I want. However, I didn't choose to grow feelings for this person, it's hard to explain but every time I am with them I begin to like them more and more. We all know feelings suck along with mixed emotions. I found myself almost being mad at this person because they are just so likable and I can't help myself. All I know is that it's my choice to make my own decisions but I can't decide whether love is that choice or just a feeling.