How To Prove You Didn't Peak In High School

I Used To Joke I Peaked In High School, But Now I Know I Definitely Didn't

College was a hard adjustment for me at first, but that is OK.

218
Noah Brown

Honestly, we all hear about how your college years are the greatest years of your life, but for some reason, it did not feel like that at first. I am in my third year at Bowling Green State University, but things were not always as great as they are now. I remember moving in and making bets with myself on how long I could go without going home. I remember not making any new friends immediately in those first couple weeks on campus, and I remember not being involved in anything extra from my classes. Most importantly, I remember tweeting about how I peaked in high school.

Obviously, that is not true, but at the time that is what it felt like. But now, I am happy to say to anyone in a similar situation: it gets better. After that first month, I finally found my home here at BGSU, and I haven't joked about peaking in high school, because I have new peaks almost every week!

1. I am on the leadership team for BGSU Math Camp

Math Camp Leadership 2017-2018

Noah Brown

BGSU Math Camp is a student-led group that helps promote the love of mathematics for kids grades first-eighth all over Northwest Ohio, and more recently in places like Oklahoma City and even China. The day is filled with team building exercises, and tons of mathematical problem solving, and to say that I am involved in such a thing that kids look forward to sometimes all year long, is amazing.

2. I am a campus tour guide

I remember touring campus before I actually committed, and I remember who sold me on BGSU. Being able to share everything I love about BG with those who are considering coming here is one of the best things I get to do.

3. I was a resident advisor

I feel it is at least worth mentioning that some of my residents either wore or brought something purple because my hair was purple.

Noah Brown

Making sure that my residents had someone to come to in their first year when the adjustment isn't going as expected was great, especially considering that I went through that myself.

4. I spoke to all of BGSU's incoming freshman

Noah Brown

I, along with three other BGSU students, got to share my BGSU experience with all of the incoming freshmen. Even if I did feel like Britney Spears with that wireless microphone, it was still amazing to be on stage, and share my story with those who have just began to write theirs.

5. The dean of my college TWEETED ABOUT ME

Noah Brown

Honestly, this might not be that big of a deal, but this is my most recent peak so let us all soak it in together.

6. I have co-taught a course with one of my professors, and I get to do it more!

BGSU is full of opportunities, and I am sure other universities are as well. My professor, Dr. Bostic, was always quick to invite myself and other past students back to his class in order to share our ideas and help run class alongside him, which is pretty cool. Now, I get to help co-teach the course with a different instructor, and being able to do that as an undergrad is amazing, and way better than anything I had ever done in high school.

7. I am going to China 

Noah Brown

High school may have had some pretty good field trips, but never anywhere that involved an airplane!

Let's be real for a second — high school was fun while it lasted, and maybe for a minute, you missed it. But as soon as you move on and find new ways to live your life, it becomes a memory. I can for sure say that I am finding new peaks all the time, and I look forward to seeking out new opportunities. No matter what I do, or how far I go, I will always remember where I came from and be proud to say that I was once a Blue Devil, but now, I am a Falcon.