How To Destress In A World Of Stress

How To Destress In A World Of Stress

There isn't just one way.
36

The world is full of things, activities, and life. Sometimes it can all come together and be wonderful, and other times it is overwhelming. Those are the moments in which you need to take a second and ground yourself.

1. Breathe.

Meditation and yoga can help you focus on what is causing the stress and encourages you to work on solving the issues. It gives you a moment to relax and appreciate the here and now rather than worrying about the future. It encourages you to take care of yourself.

2. Read.

Pull a book off the shelf or swipe through your collection of books on Kindle. Open your mind and experience another world -- another life that isn't your own -- that becomes your own as you invest your time in it.

3. Draw/color.

Being creative is one escape for people. You don`t have to be "good" at it, you just have to enjoy it. You aren't drawing or coloring for someone else. You are doing it for you. Adult coloring books are really neat if you look at them, but if you have some children coloring books, don't underestimate the calming effect of princesses and ninja turtles.

4. Bike.

Sometimes the simple motion can be soothing -- the wind rushes by as you escape from your troubles, leaving them in the dust. The tick of the chain -- its repetitive sound -- helps you realize there is something stable in all of this craziness.

5. Walk.

Taking time to slow down and look around gives you the opportunity to wonder and to wander, both physically and mentally through the world. The crunch of gravel/snow/leaves/sand/grass is all different, and each step we take is new and leading to something else.

6. Run.

You have to focus on breathing -- your pace. Look at the ground ahead of you so you don't fall. It doesn't leave space for thinking about everything, maybe just one thing that is on your mind, and gives you time to process it away from the distractions of everything else.

7. Listen to music.

Your favorite album has been left untouched. You haven't heard that song in years. You heard something new on the radio and now want to figure out the name of the song. Do it. Find yourself among the words of countless artists, many who may feel and think the way you do. Let the instrumentals float through the air, and carry you when words can't.

8. Play music.

Be the source. Pick up your guitar, sit down at the piano, or use your voice. Do whatever makes you feel connected to the rhythm -- to the beat. Match it to yours or chase the tempo you want.

9. Lay out.

Sometimes you just need some sun -- the warm comforting glow of the yellow-orange globe in the sky encasing you, and making you feel safe. You can even combine relaxation methods here by getting out a book, breathing, or listening to music.

10. Take a day trip.

Have a day off and don't want to sit at home where your thoughts are all consuming? Then don't. Go out for the day, try a new restaurant, go to the beach, find some trails nearby, and adventure. Explore the city you live in and embrace it. Learn about the culture and be a part of it.

11. Clean.

Some people feel better when they are doing things. Cleaning may not be the number one choice for some, but when you can't stand the uncertainty of plans being made or work scheduling meetings, you can control how your kitchen looks and tidy up the living room.

12. Visit a friend/family.

Going to see someone you haven't in a while can relieve some tension. You get to distract yourself from your life with theirs. Learn about their struggles, and maybe helping them will help you in a way.

13. Look through old pictures.

See how life was -- maybe how it could be. Don't dwell, but make a change. See what made those moments so special, and try to switch things up in your life now. Maybe things weren't so great then, and you are looking back to see how far you've come. You can see how much you really have accomplished with all the struggles, and see that what you are going through now got you somewhere better in the past. It will get you somewhere even further now.

14. Workout.

Get moving. Working up a sweat while finishing three sets of five or reaching a new personal best is satisfying. It shows that you are capable of whatever you put your mind to. Goals are reached and new goals created.

15. Work.

For some, going to work and being able to finish tasks is fun. It is achievable. Sometimes, the short term goals or the daily accomplishments are rewarding, and help you face the long term ones.

16. Talk about it.

Go get coffee with someone and just discuss life. See if they have any idea as to how to get through your seemingly impossible tasks. Maybe they will tell you about theirs, and you'll see that you aren't the only one searching for answers to seemingly impossible questions.

17. Sleep.

As in, get a good rest (at least eight hours) and don't overdo it. Getting on a schedule gives you the ability to maintain control over that aspect of your life. It gives you a routine. These things are going to happen. There are results, and one of them is not being groggy or out of it when you are trying to function on less than four hours of sleep.

18. Drive.

Late at night or during the day, there is something soothing about the road rumbling beneath the tires and the feel of the steering wheel you grasp with your hands. You are in control of where you are going and looking out the window at, in awe of what exists and how it all came together so perfectly.

The most important thing to remember is that you need to do what works best for you. If you've already found something, great! If not, try some of these options. If none of these things work, try something else.There are so many choices: knitting, skateboarding, or rock climbing. Whatever it is, try it. Expect some of these methods to fail miserably -- not because you don't believe they'll work from the start, but because some of them just will. You won't know which ones that will be until you try. Don't give up your search to find something that allows you to see that you exist, you matter, and you are here to prove it.