Demi Lovato Rehab

Please, Let Demi Lovato Recover Without Media Attention

Demi Lovato is another person who lost her happiness along the way and is looking in all of the wrong places to find it.

102
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcen27/42749539272
Flickr

Almost a week after her hospitalization from a drug overdose and complications surrounding it, Demi Lovato has agreed to go to rehab. Demi Lovato got her start at a young age on "Barney," then progressed on to Disney Channel, eventually being known, in addition to her music career, for being open with her long battle with addiction, self-harm, and eating disorders.

After six years of sobriety, Demi admitted to a relapse through her song "Sober." The song states, "Momma, I'm so sorry I'm not sober anymore / And daddy, please forgive me got the drinks spilled on the floor. / To the ones who never left me / We've been down this road before / I'm so sorry, I'm not sober anymore."

When those in the limelight struggle with addiction, it is a lot of times glorified and everyone on the outside looking in makes a spectacle out of their struggles. If they are sober, they are seen as an inspiration. If they are using, they are seen as bad influences, failures, wastes. In reality, they are just another person battling themselves every day. Every day is a struggle, a struggle that everyone sees.

We, as people who crave the drama of others, need to let them recover on their own. We need to remove the pressure society puts on these people. We need to give them room to breathe, to get stabilized, to get better, to find happiness. And they need to do this without the constant eyes of the media. They need to recover with the help of friends and family, not with the judgment of strangers and those who don't understand.

When those who are not under constant view of the public eye struggle with addiction, they are judged—harshly judged—for being in a constant fight with themselves. They're stuck, stuck in a hole with no way to climb out. People can try to help, but there isn't a simple solution to a complex problem.

Demi Lovato is just like the rest the world: struggling with the pressures of society, fighting the urges, trying to find a way to cope, looking for an escape from the harsh reality we live in.

Demi is just another star, just another person, just another kid, who lost her happiness along the way and is looking in all of the wrong places to find it.

But, there is hope. Her agreeing to rehab is the first step. Onlookers may think it is an obvious choice, but it's hard. Admitting you have a problem is hard, and hard is an understatement. Admitting that you have once again "failed" the people who supported you through all of your struggles is absolutely soul crushing. There is nothing easy about sobriety–nothing easy about learning healthy ways to cope.

What everyone— those struggling and those close to someone who is struggling and who don't have a firsthand understanding of the pain—needs to remember is that there is hope. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. The darkness will eventually disperse.

Demi Lovato agreeing to get the help she needs to recover is her first step. We all have first steps that we need to take. We are not failures for relapsing. We are not failures for avoiding asking for help when we need it. We are not failures for admitting that something is wrong. We are not failures.

Life is hard. It is a struggle, and we all need to find healthy ways to cope with it. It's hard work, but, similar to Demi Lovato, we all need to take the first step. Push ourselves admit when things are wrong, to fight for the happiness we deserve, and to continue to be strong.

You are not weak. You are never weak. You are strong. You may not feel strong, but you have strength. You can overcome, and, if you put the work in and have the motivation to do it you will. Find happiness. Fine love for yourself. Find inner peace. Overcome life's obstacles.