Demeaning Indian Athletes: Shobhaa De

Demeaning Indian Athletes: Shobhaa De

With India’s Independence Day slowly peeking around the corner, I felt it was much apropos to write this to you, fellow “writer,” Shobhaa De

27
Demeaning Indian Athletes: Shobhaa De

Dearest Ms. Shobhaa De,

Dipa Karmakar—I’m sure you can recall her name. She is the very solitary gymnast from India to become the first ever to enter the apparatus finals at the Olympics. While she was shaping history for India and getting ready to participate at the vaults, I am sure that you were slowly sipping your café au lait sans sucre at your local JW Marriot--writing this obnoxious tweet:

Popular as an eminent author, “feminist,” novelist, an ex-model, and a prominent socialite of the posh sector of South Mumbai, you’ve ironically laid your thoughtless and judgmental statements in front of the media several times over the past years. I’ve disregarded them time and time again, but being contemptuous about the very sportsmen that delineate the values of my country (respect, modesty, and group harmony) is parallel to shunning sheer talent, regardless of how well it ranks among other countries.

Living in America for more than fourteen years, I have always been closer to my ‘Bharati’ roots. As I stand respectfully for the Star-Spangled Banner and admire the beauty of America’s land, I also tear up for the soldiers in Siachen who are fighting for the safety of my fellow Indian brothers and sisters. I stand proud knowing that India is more than just a powerhouse of the top mathematicians and inventors—it’s also the largest democracy in the world. We represent a land of emotions. In these emotions is my invested love and utter passion for competitive sports. When you simply say that our goal as a country is to come back with empty hands, you undermine those sentiments.

I have no doubt that the Olympics is about winning; it has been from the time of the Greeks. Getting that gold medal for your country, feeling proud as you stand tall in front of millions—very well knowing that you’ve in actuality, won against the world’s best athletes—it’s a feeling unimaginable. Ranking 55th consistently, India isn't coming to par. Our teams and players need the proper authorities to train and direct and great emphasis on playing sports other than cricket. Investing that very needed time and money into our athletes isn’t a matter so simple in a nation where politics plays the upper hand.

Moreover, I understand that Indian athletes are entitled to critics just as others are. It's not fair to merely receive full marks from the Indian commonality for just showing up. However, tweets as such as yours are only disheartening for those individuals who have crossed international borders despite their financial and personal circumstances to make YOU proud. Yes, you. The same woman who believes India's only competence lies in taking selfies. Please, educate yourself.

You and I are mere wordsmiths; we both will never know that same struggle of fighting for the opportunity to leave farming in a small village and pursue a dream requiring blood, sweat, tears, and having the burden of billions of Indians hopes on his shoulders. We will never know the struggle of feeling like a beggar because we cannot afford the spike shoes we need in order to sprint. We will never, ever understand the pain that a small teenager feels when he's reminded constantly on the podium that his mother had to sell her wedding jewelry in order to make his youth dreams come true. In order for him to reach to Rio.

The problem, Ms. De, lies not only in the infrastructure and training we provide to our athletes, but also the silver-spoon fed elitists as yourselves who haven't experienced the worst of times.

You only want to see the end game. The medals.

But, what about the process? Are you forgetting about the beautiful journey in the midst of it all? Today, I am not feeling dispirited because you voiced your opinion. You have every right to do that; I encourage it.

I'm in dismay because you told your people whom were standing with their heads held high that they have limitations and shortcomings. This is voicing an opinion full of apathy and indifference; I discourage it.

A very Happy Independence Day to you, Ms. De. I hope with another anniversary of my Bharat Mata, you will become more sensible in your talks and less disparaging in your behavior.

Respectfully,

Tanisha