A Look Ahead At The Eastern Conference Player Rankings

Top Eastern Conference players who will lead their team to the playoffs in 2017.

16
King Coopa J

When you talk about the top-ten players in the NBA. Most of the players you would name are from the western conference. Of course, you would say this, because there are more elite teams. Last year there were only three players in the eastern conference who made top-ten in offense. Only three, that’s horrible. Well, you have players like Stephen Curry, James Harden, Kevin Durant, DeMarcus Cousins, Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis and Russell Westbrook filling up the scoreboard every night. You have no other choice but to agree.

What can we expect this year from the Eastern Conference? Cleveland did bring home the NBA championship, which is an amazing achievement for any team in the east. Who expected that? Three of their players are in the top 5 in their position in the NBA. It takes a certain type of player like LeBron James to dominate a game against western conference teams to win. Are there any other players in the east like that or even close? You would be surprised if I said, yes.

LeBron James is clearly the best player in the eastern conference. He led the Cleveland Cavaliers to an NBA championship in 2016. This is Cleveland’s first professional championship in any sport since 1964 (Cleveland Browns). King James averaged 25.3 points per game (5th overall in the NBA), 7.4 rebounds per game and 6.8 steals per game, which are crazy numbers with two other superstars on his team. Not only did he put up amazing numbers in the regular season, the King displayed why he was the finals MVP by upping his averages to 26.3 points per game, 9.5 rebounds per game, 7.6 assists per game, 2.3 steals per game, and 1.3 blocks per game. LeBron did something no one would think he would do after a fan burned his jersey, he came back home and won an NBA championship. Regardless of what anybody thinks of him or the type of player he’s become. Numbers don’t lie.

Paul George will arguably compete for best player in the eastern conference. He is arguably a top five candidate for the MVP award in 2017 and you can read about that here. George is coming off a major knee injury that caused him to sit for most of the season in the 2014-2015 season.He recovered well, looking like the player we all knew before the injury. He led the Indiana Pacers back to the playoffs in 2016 with a team record of 45 wins and 37 loses. He is everything you want in a small forward. He’s nearly unguardable when driving to the rim or pulling up for a mid-range jump shot. George can pretty much take you from anywhere on the floor and his three point shot is much improved. After the leg injury, most of PG 13's time was spent in the gym while improving his three point jumper.

The Indiana Pacers placed 7th in the eastern conference standing and lost to the Toronto Raptors in the first round. That sucks, especially since people thought the Pacers were going to meet up with the Cleveland Cavaliers in the eastern conference finals. PG 13 scored 33 points in a losing effort in his first playoff game back and I thought it was over from there. This year will be different for him. Like LeBron James, PG 13 have three new friends that will boost his play. George averaged 23.1 points per game (10th in the NBA), 7 rebounds per game and 4.1 assists per game which are good numbers for an entire season. Look, for Paul George to push the Pacers to the eastern conference finals where he will more than likely face King James and the Cleveland Cavaliers will definetly make him MVP worthy.

DeMar DeRozan deserved the contact the Toronto Raptors gave him in the offseason. Who wouldn't franchise DeRozan? He’s a monster. He led the Raptors to their first eastern conference finals appearance. He led his team in scoring, averaging 23.5 points per game (tied for 8th with Russell Westbrook in NBA). In the Month of January, DeRozan and Lowry were selected as co-winners of the Eastern Conference Player of the Month. They had a team record of 12-2 for the month and recorded an 11 game win streak which is a franchise record. He is also the most winningest Raptor in history with 233 career wins. DeRozan is determined to win in Toronto. He attacks the rim every chance he gets and with efficiently. He’s much more of a complete player now. His mid-range shot is much improved. What limits him is his three point shot, but who cares when you have a guy who is almost unstoppable. He leads the league in drive attempts with almost 12 per game. He’s dangerous as a pick and roll as a ball handler. He shoots 52 percent when at the rim and can finish with authority if he chooses to.

Carmelo Anthony will go all out this year and try to destroy the eastern conference. Now you may be wondering, "Only if he can stay healthy or that’s if they play him enough." Listen to this theory, though, Melo will do more than enough this season. He has Derrick Rose, who needs to stay healthy for the entire season and we can’t depend on that. Joakim Noah will make a presence in the paint with his defense. The addition of Noah automatically boosts Anthony’s play because he played power forward at times last season. He can save some of his strength by not having to bang down low with those stronger forwards. He doesn’t have to focus on being the only offensive player on the team. Rose and Kristaps Porzingis can fill it up when they’re on. Rose said they are a super team much like the Golden State Warriors. That may be an impossible task, but they have what it takes to help Carmelo Anthony play at an elite level if they all can maintain their health.