13 Reasons Why Delaware Rocks

13 Reasons Why Delaware Rocks

It's definitely a little treasure.

85
13 Reasons Why Delaware Rocks

Living in North Carolina for my undergrad studies has been a blast, but there is no place like home. Delaware is that for me. It's funny how many people forget about Delaware. Whether you call it the First State, the Diamond State or "Dela-where?", there's no denying this little known wonder is the best kept secret on the east coast. Here are 13 reasons why Delaware rocks:

1. Our Tax-Free Shopping

People flock to our malls and outlets to shop without fear of sales tax. Whatever you read on the pricetag is exactly what you owe. This amazing experience isn't just for a day or a weekend, this is 24/7 for Delawareans.

2. Our Beaches

We love our beaches and so do our neighboring states. They are huge tourist sites during the summer and for good reason. If you're looking to spend a relaxing day at the beach, head to Sussex County and try walking the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk or visiting Cape Henlopen State for some time in the water. You'll be glad you did.

3. Our Firefly Music Festival

Delaware's capital, Dover, hosts the surreal concert experience that is Firefly which combines the woodsy allure of Delaware with the amazing performances that have made Coachella famous. It has to be one of Delaware's biggest draws. Honestly, I feel like every Delawarean should go once. It is an indescribable festival experience. From the artists to the detailed surroundings and fantastic vendors, it definitely adds up to an incredible time.

4. Our Restaurants

We have so many wonderful restaurants that are unique to Delaware: Grotto's Pizza, The Georgia House, The Summer House, Big Fish Grill, The Cultured Pearl, Cool Springs, Bethany Blues, Pizza Delight by Giacoma, Restaurant 55, 33 West Ale House and Pub and more. These delicious and diverse eateries are a foodie's dream and definitely worth checking out.

5. Our Christiana Mall

Whether you like Brookstone, Sephora, Nordstrom, Anthropologie, Armani Exhange, Apple, Legos or whatever, you're sure to find it in our mall. Head up to New Castle County for a high-end shopping excursion. Our shopping only rivals our surrounding restaurants like Panera Bread, Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, Chipotle and etc. Plus, we have a pretty wicked theater where you can have dinner and a movie. Treat yo' self.

6. Our State Parks

Whether you want to splash around in a water park, take a hike, visit a nature center or a zoo, check out a concert, or just camp, look no further than our state parks. Parks can be found all over the state each offering a different experience than the other from war reenactments to surf fishing, our parks provide people from all walks of life a chance to feel at one with nature in exceptional ways.

7. Our License Plates

We take our license plates very seriously. Those sporting the coveted black tags are among our elite, but only if they have a low number. These unique tags can be sold at auction for thousands of dollars. So, next time you're in Delaware, check out some bumpers and see how interesting plates can be.

8. Our Casino and NASCAR

The Monster Mile is another awesome attraction in our state. Racing season brings local fans and tourists together to see their favorite racers burn rubber and compete at the Dover International Speedway. If racing isn't your thing, maybe gambling is. Dover Downs is a pretty impressive casino and horse track. Also, if you're wondering where the Firefly Music Festival is, it happens in the woodlands behind this track.

9. Our Blue Rocks

The Wilmington Blue Rocks, our minor league baseball team, provides a fun, family-centered sporting experience. Delaware doesn't have any major sports teams so, we revel in the next best thing, our minor leagues. I may be not speak for everyone, but I love a good Blue Rocks game.

10. Our High School Athletics

Speaking of sports, Delawareans are notably competitive when it comes to high school sports. I may have graduated four years ago, but I am a Dover High Senator for life. I don't care what our stats are, who we're playing, or what sport; I root for D-High, you know. Ask any Delawarean, you'll probably get the same answer, but they may represent a different school. If you can, try to catch a game, you will not be disappointed.

11. Our State Fair

The Delaware State Fair makes the last week of July the best week of the summer. From performances by break-out stars and old favorites to fun rides and fantastic fair food, our State Fair is one of the best. We host some of the biggest acts around at the fair. Carrie Underwood, Three Days Grace, Selena Gomez, Hinder, Daughtry, Flo Rida, Paramore, Kelly Clarkson and more have graced the grand stage, pulling visitors from not only Delaware, but from all over other surrounding states.

12. Our Proximity to Everything Cool

Taking a day trip to Philly, DC, Baltimore, Atlantic City, Ocean City or New York isn't out of the question. It's actually pretty cool to get out of the state and visit so many energized and exciting areas. You feel unlimited and free to visit these places whenever you want. You feel like less of a tourist and more like you're visiting an old friend.

13. Our State Pride

We have the least counties out of tall of the United states and one the smallest populations in a state. We are about 96 miles long and between 9 to 35 miles in width. We are definitely small, but we're growing and thriving like never before. We celebrate the arts, our heritage, our towns and each other with festivals like Dover Days and the Best of Delaware Party. We know we may not have the most people, but we are proud. "Dela-where?" Dela-right here, in our little slice of paradise.