10 Reasons Why Maine Is The Way That Life Should Be

Where else would you want to live?

5191

I have lived in Maine for the 19 years of my existence and I can truthfully say that I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Maine is a special place that is hard to explain, but people from here know why it can't be replaced. There are many reasons as to why. As our state slogan says, Maine is the way life should be.

1. The People

People from Maine are some of the nicest people who I have ever met. You are constantly greeted with a smile and a wave from strangers who pass you by. When in any supermarket or store, you are greeted warmly with a "Hello" and "How are you?" Everyone is very welcoming and you will immediately feel a great sense of community whenever you're with a group of Mainers.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F03%2F04%2F635927047460797615-847637452_giphy.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=242&h=6f520c9a1edc5eeb54feb354eff4d7a9e995dbed12777346d7cb7e9a39861adc&size=980x&c=192932391 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F03%252F04%252F635927047460797615-847637452_giphy.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D242%26h%3D6f520c9a1edc5eeb54feb354eff4d7a9e995dbed12777346d7cb7e9a39861adc%26size%3D980x%26c%3D192932391%22%7D" expand=1]

2. The Scenery

Maine is one of the prettiest states year 'round. As one of the few places that really shows each season, the scenery is always changing. From fields of flowers in the spring to sandy beaches and full trees in the summer and from multicolored leaves in the fall to glistening white snow in the winter, the scenery never disappoints.

3. Endless Outdoor Adventures

If you are a fan of the outdoors and love to ski, hike, camp, or more, then Maine is the place to go. With almost 90 percent of Maine being forested, the highest percentage of any state, there are endless opportunities to find a new place to hike, camp, or just explore the outdoors. On top of that, Maine has some of the best skiing out there and it is one of the perfect places for a winter adventure. Plus, you'll never be disappointed by the view.

4. The Elusive Bean Boot

Do you know about those hand-made leather boots that everyone is dying to get their hands on? Yeah, we've had our pair for years now. L.L. Bean opened its first store in Freeport, Maine and all of its hand-crafted boots are made in Brunswick, Maine. Mainers knew how special Bean Boots were before anyone else and you can believe that we've been rocking the L.L. Bean style for years now. Everyone else is just starting to catch up to us.

5. The Sunrises And Sunsets

Maine has some of the best sunrises and sunsets, don't try to tell me any differently. Whether you're watching the sunrise/sunset from the beach, a campground, while driving, or just looking out your window, you'll see some spectacular views. Maine sunrises/sunsets are vibrant, with multicolored hues lighting up the sky. Maine does not disappoint on this end and each sunrise/sunset is unique.

6. The Coastline

As a state with one of the largest coastlines, you'll always be up for a drive. With views of the ocean for miles and sandy beaches lining the shore, Maine will not let you down. While on your drive along the coast, stop and visit one of the many historic lighthouses that Maine has to offer. There is always something new to see and explore. It won't take you long to fall in love with Maine's coast.

7. The Whoopie Pie

Maine is famous for its whoopie pie. In fact, we even made it our official state treat. For those of you who have never had a whoopie pie, you're missing out. There's nothing better than biting into the two pieces of fluffy, moist cake that are separated only by a healthy portion of sweet, creamy filling. Some of the best come from Wicked Whoopies, which are baked daily in Maine. There's a variety of kinds, including peanut butter and red velvet. You know that Maine loves its whoopie pies because we have an annual Maine Whoopie Pie Festival hosted in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine to celebrate their wicked good taste.

8. The Beaches

Having a large coast translates to having many beaches as well. Whether you want to go to one of the tourist beaches like Old Orchard or a more secluded beach like Higgins Beach in Scarborough, there's one for everyone. You could spend a whole summer just going to every beach in Maine and trying them all out. None of them will let you down.

9. The Seafood

I don't think that there is any doubt in anyone's mind that Maine has some of the best seafood that there is to offer. You'll never be hard pressed to find a lobster roll or some fried clams in the summer and almost every restaurant offers some kind of seafood dish year 'round. Some of the best lobster rolls come from little shacks on the coastline or beaches. As they say, "Good things can come from unexpected places." We don't skimp on the lobster in lobster rolls either, so if you want a true lobster roll that's more lobster than bread, come to Maine.

10. State Pride

If you're from Maine, then you know this to be true. We are all in love with our state. Sure, sometimes we'll complain about the cold or that it's not bustling like a big city, but, in the end, we wouldn't want to be anywhere else. If we're ever out of the state and hear people making assumptions about or bashing Maine, then you'd best believe that we are going to get upset and start defending our state. If you meet someone from Maine, be prepared to hear them go on about how awesome Maine is and how it's the best place to live.