A Definitive Ranking Of Disney Princesses

A ranking of the Disney princesses based on the opinions of a die-hard Disney fan

162

Most people who know me know that I, and my family, are major Disney fans. We have been Disney vacation club members for as long as I can remember and I have been to Disney World more times than I can count. I can confidently say that I have seen almost every movie Disney has ever, most of them multiple times. After many trips and many movies watched, I like to think that I know my Disney, especially my Disney princesses. So here is a definitive ranking of every Disney princess by someone who thinks they know what they are talking about, but feel free to disagree with me!

Let me start by saying that there are MANY Disney princesses, but Disney has an official list of who they consider their princesses, so for this list, I will be going off of their official list that includes; Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana, Rapunzel and Merida.

11. Snow White

Snow White is considered the very first Disney princess, props to her for that. Do not get me wrong, there are some very nice qualities about Snow White, and her movie was made in the 1930's so I can only blame so much on her but... Snow White is almost too good. She is described as kind, happy and tidy. WHO WANTS TO BE DESCRIBED AS TIDY? Snow White is obnoxiously happy throughout the whole film, all the while being chased by an evil step-mother who wants her dead, the whole time waiting and wanting a prince to save her. Stand up for yourself Snow, you're better than that.

"Remember, you're the one who can fill the world with sunshine."

10. Cinderella

Cinderella is a classic, maybe the most well known princess. Cinderella had a pretty crappy start to life. Both of her parents died and she was stuck as a slave to her step-mother and step-sisters. Although she used and relied on a prince to get her out of her step-mothers house, she is considered more independent than Snow White. Cinderella had to have some thick skin to live with the witches for so long, and she truly deserved to be happy after her horrendous childhood. If anything, I learned to never give up after watching Cinderella.

"Have courage and be kind"

9. Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)

Princess Aurora, otherwise known as Sleeping Beauty, was my absolute favorite princess growing up. Aurora is described as being beautiful, kind, shy and sophisticated. Aurora was sheltered by her parents as a child as a result of a curse that was cast upon her as an infant. Aurora really had the potential to be an awesome princess, but unfortunately for her, she was asleep for a majority of her movie. Although, she does teach viewers to dream and wonder about life.

"They say if you dream a thing more than once, it's sure to come true."

8. Ariel

Princess Ariel is the first and only mermaid in the group. Ariel's sense of wonder and fierce independence is inspiring for many young viewers. She also has an overbearing father and in an act of rebellion and makes a deal with a sea witch, trading her beautiful singing voice for a chance to find love in the human world. Why was Disney so focused on these girls finding love, learn to be independent people. She teaches people to be bold and take risks in order to achieve your dreams. But she is kind of crazy, falling for prince she has never spoken to after he finds her on the beach. They can not even talk to each other and they decide to get married, SAY WHAT?

"Who says my dreams have to stay just dreams?"

7. Rapunzel

Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your hair... ugh. But in reality, I love this movie, mostly because of Maximus. Rapunzel was kidnapped by a crazy old witch as a baby because she had magical, healing hair that kept the witch young. Rapunzel is a spunky, curious girl who enlists the help of Flynn Rider to help her see a lantern show for her 18th birthday. Although Rapunzel is a little naive, you can't blame her when she was locked in a tower for her entire life. I like Rapunzel because she puts herself first, she stands up for herself. Ultimately, she and Flynn end up together, but the movie was not circling around their love story the entire time. Rapunzel uses her powers to heal Flynn after the witch tries to kill him, she kills the witch and ultimately reunites with her parents.

"I want to see the world, and not just through a window."

5. Jasmine

Officially the sixth Disney princess, Jasmine showed up in a more progressive 90's. Disney officials describe Jasmine as fierce, bold, and confident, she does not allow anyone to tell her how to live her life. Like Ariel, she feels restricted by an overbearing father and wants to branch out, but shes smarter than the mermaid. Of course, she falls in love, but not with a prince, but a thief! Aladdin and Jasmine go through many different, dangerous adventures together. The difference from the most of the previous princesses is that Jasmine actively engages in these activities throughout the movie and is not treated as a breakable, small character. She also has a pet tiger, which is cool.

"I'm like a shooting star, I've come so far. I can't go back to where I used to be."

4. Belle

Belle is a classic, and she doesn't even start out as a princess. Belle wants adventure, she loves to read and is very intellectual, headstrong and she has no interest in any of the men in her village. Belle is described as the first feminist Disney princess. When the villain of the film refuses to stop making advances at Belle, she tells him off. YES, she does wind up falling in love, but it's with a beast!! She falls in love with the gross, angry, mean beast and she softens him, and turns him into the person he used to be. She is courageous, intelligent and brave, a combination that was unprecedented before her. She is the first princess to be seen as the hero of her movie, saving herself, her father and her beast.

It's not until you lose everything that that you can truly appreciate everything."

3. Pocahontas

Pocahontas is a fiercely independent and strong young women. The daughter of an Native American chief, she shows wisdom beyond her years. Pocahontas is adventurous and curious about the world beyond where she grew up. I'm a fan because she can talk to animals, trees and spirits, her best friend is a raccoon. Again, she falls in love, like everyone else, but only after challenging her fathers wishes and refusing to marry the one he has set for her. Then she meets John Smith, an invader who she hates at first. Her movie is less about the romance and more about fighting for what she believes in. She protects her land and people with a spitfire personality, while also maintaining the respect of her opponents.

"Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one."

2. Mulan

Mulan is on badass lady. Spoiler alert, she finds love. Mulan is the most independent and courageous of all of the Disney princesses. I love Mulan because she is clumsy, awkward, and self-reliant. Although her family wants her to be matched with a future husband, she bombs the interview and her family loses all hope. When her elderly father gets called to war, Mulan sets out to fill in for him, disguising herself as a man and heading to war in the middle of the night. Mulan is the hero of her story, much like Belle and Pocahontas. She saves her people, her friends and fellow soldiers. She ends up falling for her commander, but that is literally at the end of the film. Majority if her time is spent as a courageous. independent person.

"The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."

1. Merida

Finally, my number one. Merida was almost number two on my list, specifically based on the fact that she was an add on princess and not one of the first eight. But in the end all, Merida is who I identify most with and think is the best role model. Merida is the most recent princess, known for her stubbornness, independence and bravery. Merida refuses her mothers wishes to be a proper lady, to impress men with the goal of getting married. Instead, Merida is skilled in archery, sword-fighting and horseback riding. Her horse, Angus, does not hurt her argument as my favorite. Merida ends ups accidentally turning her mother and younger brothers into bears and has to learn that she has to get over her pride in order to rescue her mother and brothers, while also defeating a demon bear that haunts her lands. Merida is the first Disney princess that ends her film without a love interest, instead taking over as Queen of her lands.

"Our fate lives within us, you only have to be brave enough to see it."

I realize many people will not agree with me, feel free to tell me in the comments! I know I focused on princesses finding love alot, but for me, it is important for the princesses to find themselves before they try to be with someone else. It is important for them to be independent and not rely on someone else, you can thank my mom for that opinion!