On Decision Making

On Decision Making

Choose wisely.

24
On Decision Making
game-icons.net

Choice can be a blessing and a curse. Who we choose to call friends, what we decide to eat, and what we pick to wear can tell a lot about us- all of this is obvious. The less obvious choices are the more prying ones: about truth or whether or not we'll disappoint someone else for picking the "wrong" thing.

As I've said before, it is YOU that are the most important factor in decision making. You're never going to please everyone, no matter what you decide and no matter where the crossroads lay. What matters is that you choose the healthiest option for yourself that you're prepared to stick with, the thing you know will make you the happiest. We'll use the classic situation of asking someone out as an example. Some people might tell you to low-key stalk your crush to find out what they like and use it to your advantage. Others who have more than likely been hurt in the past will tell you to play it safe and wait for your crush to make the first move. Either one of these things could potentially win the day for you and begin a new relationship, but in reality, many people fail to realize that there are more than two choices. Life isn't black and white, and who says you really have to take anyone's advice?

*Disclaimer: the writer acknowledges that you do not have to take their advice, as well.*

Sometimes the simplest solution is to listen to your gut and just go with your first instinct. It sounds cliche, but it works.

I'll go back to my example. Suppose you just go up and talk to your crush like a normal person. Ask them a question, like if the two of you have a mutual friend, or if they have the study notes from last class. It may not work at first, but the beauty of choice is that you get to make even more new decisions every day. At least this way, your crush has exchanged words with you and is aware of your existence, and you don't have to go digging through their garbage to find out what they're into.

*Disclaimer: don't actually do this.*

Choice is a power we all have that many of us fail to acknowledge. We do not have to participate in what we think is necessary; there is ALWAYS another way. Maybe even sleeping on a tough choice will give you more insight than you had before. I know that for me personally, I can't make tough choices when I'm hungry or tired, so I put them off and recognize that these outside factors could affect my decision making skills in a negative way.

"It's not who we are underneath, but what we do that defines us." - Batman Begins