15 Things Only December Babies Will Understand

Happy Merry Christmas Birthday!

1214
Thrillist

December birthdays are kind of the worst. Whether you were born on the 1st or the 31st, you will never be able to declare December "your birthday month." Now, before I get destroyed in the comments section, I would like to challenge anyone born in any of the other 11 months and dare them to try to have a birthday that's surrounded by the aftermath of Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the beginning of Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas and New Year's. Trying to celebrate your big day in the middle of everyone's holiday festivities can be a recipe for disaster -- take it from someone who was born on December 24. Yeah, December babies go through a lot. But you are not alone in your December birthday blues -- here are the things that only December babies understand and what makes us the real MVPs.

1. You're always asked what you want for Christmas, and not your birthday.

And you're just trying to smile through it, like:

2. That is.... if people even remember what day your birthday is on.

And at first, you're like:

But then you're like:

Merry... birthday?

3. But it doesn't really matter because everyone combines your birthday and Christmas gifts into one anyway.

Like, seriously, just say no to combo gifts. They suck. And you'll smile and accept it, but on the inside, you're thinking:

Being born in December is not some kind of two-for-one deal.

4. And any presents you do get for your birthday are wrapped in holiday-themed paper.

It's even worse when someone insists on putting them under the tree and you're just like:

5. You also have to wait another year before you get presents again.

And at first, you're just sitting there, like:

Until you reach those last few months, when you get excited again.

Unless you're that person who celebrates their half-birthday in June, but who does that?

6. Meanwhile, part of your birthday may be devoted to buying Christmas presents for other people.

Which means the birthday celebrations are cut short, which might make you a little cranky:

And at the end of it all, you're just like:

7. ... while said other people are complaining about being "too broke" to buy you anything because of their holiday shopping.

"Too broke?"

Like, seriously?

Pfft. "Too broke." And? I'm broke too.

8. You will never find a weekend where all of your friends are there to celebrate.

And you're just like:

Because, really, who doesn't want to celebrate with their friends on their birthday?

Yeah, in December? Good luck with that.

9. And the people you do celebrate with are the people you've known all your life.

And of course you love them, but sometimes you see them and you just wanna:

Because you know that means your birthday will look like this:

#familytime

10. ... Or it's the wait-staff of the restaurant you went to.

Who are either super unenthusiastic about being there:

Or have so much energy for a wait-staff on the holidays that you're like:

Either way, don't forget to tip your "partygoers."

11. If, miraculously, any of your friends can hang out, all they want to do is holiday-themed stuff.

And you're just like:

It's my birthday. I don't want to go iceskating, make gingerbread houses, drive through neighborhoods to see Christmas lights, or build a snowman.

Nothing against these things, but can I choose what we do for our hang out this one time without getting any slack from the group?

12. Literally everyone tells you it must "suck" to have a December birthday.

And it starts off with that warning look, like:

Because this is what you're really feeling whenever you hear that:

As if you needed any reminders.

13. You start to become apathetic toward your birthday because no one is ever around to celebrate.

But then you think there might still be a way to fix it.

14. Everyone assumes you hate Christmas because you're a December baby.

Which isn't true -- on the contrary, no one does Christmas better than you -- you just wish people would stop to celebrate your birthday for a moment.

Is that so much to ask?

15. And finally, your birthday will forever be overshadowed by another December baby.

Yeah, having a birthday in December can be pretty weird, but our holidays are doubly special. And we're not always forgotten. So thanks to all the people out there who help make our birthdays memorable.

And from one December baby to another, Happy Merry Christmas Birthday!