Dealing with the Death of a Loved One

Dealing with the Death of a Loved One

It's tough to say goodbye.

62
Dealing with the Death of a Loved One
Shanon Rego

It's never easy to deal with the death of someone. My paternal grandad passed away when I was in the second grade. Obviously, I was pretty small and I vaguely remember how life was back then. I have these small flashbacks, photos and some stories my parents still tell me. I still remember every single detail of the funeral. I never really talked to anyone about how I felt after the funeral. Years later, I still reminisce about how I used to hold his finger and walk down the stairs, and how I would sit next to him and try to read the newspaper. But every now and then, I'd get these flashbacks of the funeral and it scared me.

Shanon Rego

This January, literally days after I came back from India for my second semester, I received the news that my maternal grandad also passed away. I was walking near the library and I froze. I didn't know how to react. I didn't know who to call. I couldn't believe that only a few days before I hugged him and left for my flight. He was one man who always knew that I would work hard for my success. He would always sit in his chair, do his little exercise and stare out the window. I remember that back then when I was 4 or 5, he'd come back from work and bring me and my sister our favorite chocolates every single day.

Shanon Rego

I refused to see any pictures of my grandfathers because I was afraid I would break down and lose my strength. I had to be strong for my folks at home. I didn't want them to stress about me as well. I don't know if that was the right thing to do, but I couldn't do it. A few months later, I felt that I needed to get hold of reality. The moment I saw those pictures, I started bawling. I couldn't believe that he wasn't there anymore. It took me days to get better. But I'm glad I did it. I was happy that I got to spend time with him before leaving. Furthermore, it wasn't easy writing this article. I've typed and discarded numerous drafts. I'd choke up each time I write the article. But then I realized that both my Papas would not like to see me like this. There are two things I learned from them: To stay strong in every situation and to always help people.

People get older. It's a fact and there's nothing we can do to change it. But, we could try and enjoy the moments we get to spend with them. My grandparents lived a very happy life. They were always optimistic about the future. They tackled any and every obstacle placed in front of them. They would always help anybody in need and I am proud to call them my grandfathers.