Dear Younger Me, I Am So Proud Of You

Dear Younger Me, I Am So Proud Of You

Give yourself some grace.

272
Dear Younger Me, I Am So Proud Of You
Lauren Trimble

I've always wanted to write a "letter to my younger self." Reading other people's makes me feel comforted, in a way. It's really crazy to think about how different I was a year ago; let alone 10 years ago. I think that everyone has their own "inner child" that will always have a place somewhere in their subconscious. It's that part of us that is still vulnerable and needs to be nurtured. So, here goes. A letter to my younger self.

Dear younger me, I am so proud of you. You've always been the perfectionist, the people-pleaser, and the empath. Getting a 98% on a paper bothers you because "If I could have only gotten that extra 2% then..." You're constantly worried that not everyone around you is okay at the moment, and you try everything you can to make sure that others are content. When someone is scared, you're the first one to try and comfort them. It's just in your nature, and that's okay. One day, you're going to realize that these personality traits aren't a bad thing. They make you who you are. Please try to give yourself some grace. I know it's easy to criticize yourself on the little things, but it's not helping anything. You're doing your best just like everyone else is.

Lauren Trimble

You are so very loved. I know you hear this often, but you need to try and love yourself as much as the people surrounding you do. Take care of yourself, and do it often. Daily even. You're going to thank yourself later. Keep being kind to others. Especially the ones who are unkind to you. You don't realize it now, but you'll think of those people as blessings a little bit later. They made you realize the person who you don't want to be. Feel your emotions. Sit with the good and the bad. At times, it's going to be uncomfortable, I know. But, feeling them now will save you from all of them building up and exploding later. You are doing just fine. It's okay to leave people behind.

You're a fixer. Something that you'll realize later, however, is that you can't change people who aren't willing to make a change in themselves. Your best bet is to love people for everything that they are, and not to dwell on everything that they aren't. Believe it or not, high school isn't going to be the best four years of your life. Right now, at 18, your life is just beginning. Try and focus on the good, but don't get upset with yourself if you're a little negative every once in a while. It's okay. Nobody is perfect. Most importantly, take it all in. It's going to go fast, so enjoy the rollercoaster of life that we're all riding on. You're doing just fine.

Lauren Trimble