Dear High School Seniors, Before Your Last Semester Starts

Applying to college is hard. You'll get through it.

Dear Seniors,

I know how you feel because one year ago, I was in the same spot as you.

If you were anything like me, you did not want to talk about your application process, the schools you were applying to, your scores, and wanted to avoid acceptance and rejection letters as much as possible.

While everyone is probably checking their emails or mailboxes to check for their acceptance letters, you’re probably avoiding opening your email or mailbox as much as possible.

I know that the majority of your first semester was spent staring at your common application and supplements- attempting to revise every sentence, proofreading for errors, and making sure your essay fits the word count. After all, every word in this essay determines your future.

Every other student and adult is probably asking you the same questions: where you’re applying, how far you are on apps, what major you’re applying to — and then you’ll hear everything about their application process or their kid’s. And nothing kills your more than that. I personally was not proud of my grades and felt so insecure talking about what my plans were, and equally hated hearing about it.

Applying to a select amount of colleges is definitely stressful, but the worst part is the actual wait. After hitting the submit button, your future is left in the hands of picky and selective people who comprise the decisions committee. After all, they want the best for their school and you don’t know if that is you or not. As you wait, you think about your life at college — wearing college gear, going to the library, the dorms. You even think about how you’re going to announce your college on social media. The wait feels like forever until you receive a letter from a college.

This can go one of two ways:

The more desirable is reading “Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you of your admission at....” The first acceptance letter puts you at ease, knowing that there is a spot for you somewhere.

The other is reading “I regret to inform you...”

I get it. Rejection hurts. Whether it was from your dream school or not, you will still wonder why you were not good enough. Why would you apply to this school if you didn’t think you were good enough? You may feel as if you are less competent compare to those around you who did get into the university you most desired. You may get waitlisted and wonder if it is even worth your time to consider this school.

The environment I grew up in, especially my high school, made me believe that if I did not go to a college that was ranked in the top ten percent of the nation, I was going to be set behind those who did and not be successful. However, in my past few months at university, I have truly learned that your institution will never define you or your capabilities. Regardless of where you go to college, you are the one in control of using your education and applying it in order to build a successful future for yourself. It is all up to you to use your resources and take advantage of opportunities presented to you.

I never in a million years would have thought I would be at Baylor University as a business major. And I will tell you one thing, I do not regret my decision one bit. Of course, there were other schools in my mind and at the time I wish I applied to other schools. Now that I am here, I am happy with my decision because of all the people I have met and the experiences I have been able to be a part of. So many people asked me where Baylor was and so many adults asked me why I didn’t choose to stay at a UC or somewhere local. I never really had an answer but I am glad I was given the opportunity to venture out of my hometown and grow as a person in such little time.

Do not get beat yourself up over one college because going to college is an accomplishment in itself. Enjoy the last moments of high school because I assure you that you will miss it. Wherever you end up, I promise you will be OK.