PSA Boys—Yes, Periods Are As Bad As We Make Them Out To Be.

Boys and girls will never truly know what the other sex goes through, but we can start here.

145
123rf

Let’s be honest, boys and girls know basically nothing about each other, and we probably never will. However, I can maybe, possibly make an effort. So, let’s talk about something that makes people uncomfortable: periods.

I have heard some pretty crazy things and have been asked some weird questions from guys about periods. So, here and now, I’m going to address these questions and comments from guys about old Aunt Flow.

Let me start by saying that it’s different for everyone. Some girls have a period that last 2-3 days with little pain or discomfort. Other girls have an “average” 5-7 day period with a few days of cramping, but they can still function. Then, there are some girls that go through hell during their periods. It lasts a week or more, their flow is heavy, and they experience a lot of pain. So, some girls may be able to relate to this list, and others? Not so much.

1. No, the bleeding doesn’t stop until it’s over.

I don’t remember his exact words, but a male friend of mine once told me that he would have period sex with a girl if the bleeding stopped for a moment. The bleeding doesn’t stop until it is over. Yes, the are times when the flow weakens. It’s like the waves at the beach. There are times when the waves are huge, but the current is always moving, and there are always tiny waves here and there. Periods are the same way. There are times when the flow is heavier than others, but at no point does the bleeding just stop. There are no breaks until it’s over for the month. So, if you aren’t interested in seeing blood on your junk, maybe periods sex isn’t for you.

Side note: The key here is communication. Talk to each other about what you are and aren’t comfortable with.

2. Pads and tampons are EXPENSIVE.

There has been a debate about whether we should remove tax on feminine products, and I am so for that, because this stuff is expensive as it is, and the heavier the flow the more you pay. There is a HUGE difference between store brand and name brand pads, and the difference is the store brand just can’t handle my heavy flow. There are pads that hold, like, 10 times it’s weight or something like that, but they’re, like, $10. Seriously? It’s crazy.

3. POOP.

Some girls experience, what I call, EXTREME POOPING (it sounds better than diarrhea). This basically means the flood gates open and you release your weight in poop for God knows what reason. I don’t know what causes this, but it’s terribly inconvenient if you’re a person who goes places during the day. Making so many trip to the bathroom a day can make being productive hard to do.

4. We’re taught that “leaks” are suppose to be embarrassing.

News flash: ALL GIRLS GET A PERIOD. Why should we be embarrassed by leakage? Sure, it isn’t flattering, but it’s natural. I really don’t want to walk around with a stain on my pants, but if it happens what am I gonna do? I shouldn’t have to be ashamed of having a spot on my pants simply because people are immature about something that happens naturally. It just adds more stress to an already irritating situation.

With that said, women's underwear is SO expensive, and one little leak can turn a $10 pair of Victoria's Secret underwear to garbage.

5. Weight gain and bloating is natural, but a pain in the ass.

You seriously have to rework your wardrobe for your period, because 90% of your pants WILL NOT FIT due to water retention. The average woman gains five pounds before her period due to water retention. Remember that this happens, because you’re not pregnant, so you’re body is preparing for a baby regardless. When your body realizes there is no baby, it’s let’s the water go, but it’s still terribly annoying to deal with, because nothing fits or looks right and you just feel fat and ugly.

6. Cramps can go from one extreme to the other.

Cramps are the worst. The best way I can explain cramps to a guy is saying that they feel like “poop pains”. Like, if you ate a lot of beans or something, and you’re about to feel your gut explode? THAT’S what cramps can be like. They’re honestly zero to 60. They can feel like a mild discomfort. Other times they feel like a jackhammer in your uterus. Again, it’s different for everyone, and for those who experience #3, and pain can be much, much worse!

7. Boob pain.

As I explained before, the point of a period is removing waste our body created in the hopes of holding a baby. Our boobs prepare for lactation, and our ovary's estrogen level gets crazy, and this can cause boob pain and even swelling. Sure, enlarged breasts sound great to guys, but it hurts really bad, and it’s just one more pain to add to an already long list of pains that come with this time of the month.

8. Acne caused by extra sweating.

Hormones are everything during periods, and there are some hormones that can cause acne and increase perspiration. This doesn’t just happen under our arms – it happens everywhere that has sweat glands. The worse is boob sweat, and back sweat if back fat is an issue for you. Acne can appear on it’s own, but the increased sweating does not help things at all.

9. Why am I emotional? I HAVE NO IDEA.

All girls have been there – they’re randomly sad and don’t know why. A few minutes later, they enter the bathroom, and, “Oh! That’s why I was sad!”. Our crazy hormones are similar the hormones of a pregnant woman. They’re out of control, and we can’t control our emotions. This is something I hear guys complain about the most. Sorry, dudes, but we can’t help it. It’s just something that happens, and you blaming our bad mood on our periods, while it may be 100% true, does not help things. Just be supportive. We are entering a pretty uncomfortable, irritating time. Just be there for us, or leave us alone if that’s what we want. Just, no matter what, NEVER blame our bad moods on our periods. We know we’re sad or angry, we don’t know why, and you’re not helping matters by blaming it all on our periods.

10. The food cravings DON’T STOP.

Our stomachs are a bottomless pit, and calories are no issue during our periods. Not only are the food cravings endless, but they sometimes get really weird. It’s no different than a stoner with the munchies. When we have food in mind, we WILL NOT be satisfied until it’s in our bellies, no matter how odd the combinations are.

I did my best to describe periods to the opposite sex here, but there are some things you just can’t explain to someone that has never experienced it, and this is one of those times. Just remember, next time your girlfriend, wife, or whoever is swimming the crimson tide, just be supportive. Buy her food and tampons and tell her she is pretty. If she wants to be left alone, leave her alone. If she wants to cuddle, grab a warm blanket and snuggle her as good as you can. It’s only temporary.