Dear My Best Friend's Best Friend

Dear My Best Friend's Best Friend

To the person whose best friend currently lives with me.

177

Dear my best friend's best friend,

Hi! Now, this letter is not for the best friends that my best friends made after high school. Honestly, I am super jealous of all of you because you get to spend nine months with my best friend. This letter is to the best friend of my favorite person at college. I've only met you personally once but I need to tell you something. You've been on my mind a lot lately and I wanted to address something that I think I don't say enough.

Thank you.

When I was a freshman in college, your best friend sat across from me in a God-awful theater class and we became friends based on our mutual hatred of Peer Gynt. By the time she turned 18 that November, I knew we'd be friends for life. She's the person I go to when I'm sad, the person who makes sure I make it home safe at night (even though she keeps stealing my car and putting NO GAS IN IT), the person who has become one of my best friends in the world. She's the reason why college is fun. But I'm pretty sure you already know that.

See, years before that fateful theater class, you met her and became her best friend. You two have gone through everything together, from crushes to that weird zit on her chest that she says is a scar to her sister moving away to college to you both having to separate for the first time. You're blood brothers, sisters, and soulmates. And so when freshman-year me met your best friend, she already had the only friend she'd ever need in life.

And that's why I want to say thank you. Thank you for sending her off to college four hours away from you so I could meet her. Thank you for helping her grow and become one of the best humans I've ever met. Thank you for pushing her out of her comfort zone all throughout high school so she was literally the funniest person in class the moment I met her. Thank you for being her sounding board for when she decided to live with me. Thank you for helping her plan my surprise birthday party (Honestly, I have no idea how she did it but I know she definitely texted you about it because you're constantly talking). Thank you for teaching her how to deal with panic attacks so she can take care of me. Thank you for letting me love her, and thank you for letting me borrow her for nine months out of the year.

And thank you for becoming my friend. Thank you for going along with my weird surprise video for her last year and making the best part of the video. Thank you for telling her ridiculous stories and giving her permission to tell me (I get so excited to hear about your adventures at college because you're much cooler than your best friend who's much cooler than me). Thank you for welcoming me to your home when I came up to visit her one time. Thank you for getting me on the quiz "Are you more [Me] or [Our Best Friend]". Thank you for showing me your hilarious youtube channel from high school. Thank you for being someone who is so comfortable with her friendships that you have made me comfortable calling my best friend our best friend.

As my time with your best friend comes to an end (she's going back home to you and I'm probably going to stay where I am), I want to thank you for having the best friend in the world. Because of you, she's who she is, and that person is amazing. That person has made the past three years of my life the best, and I know that when she gets married one day to that nice Jewish boy from Texas, we'll both be standing next to each other crying hysterically because our best friend is the best person in the world and deserves the very best it has to offer. Thank you for deeming me qualified to be her other best friend. Thank you for everything.

Sincerely,

that girl who likes all of your Instagram pictures because you're so pretty

P.S. Also, to the best friend written about in this piece, I know you're reading this right now and about to become violent because you hate it because you are not a possession and you are your own person and we're both friends with you because you're great and this is stupid. Thank you, I get it. I'm in my bedroom if you want to punch me in the face.