An Open Letter To My College Best Friend

How did I survive the first 18 years of my life without you?

16826
Her Campus

To my best friend I met in college,

I came to college not knowing what to expect. I was nervous. I just left my small town, and I moved into this unfamiliar place with even more unfamiliar people. I had heard many horror stories from people who had completed college or from upperclassmen. They would tell me the horror stories of awful roommates and friendships that only last one semester or so. I was under the impression I would never meet the one person who would change my life in so many ways.

But then I met you.

We look back now and we just laugh because who would have thought we would have made it this far? At first, our friendship was awkward because we didn’t seem similar on the surface. We both had different definitions of school, boys, and weekend adventures. But then, there was that one night that everything changed. We both realized that our friendship was worth so much more.

From that night on, we became each other’s “person.” We became study buddies, gym partners, breakfast, lunch and dinner buddies, a shoulder in the middle of the night to cry on, each other's main source of laughter, co-pilots on spontaneous road trips and our home away from home. You’re the one that gives the best advice, and you are the one person that will always have my back. You aren’t afraid to tell me how you feel about any given situation, or if you think I am making a mistake. And as much as I hate to admit it sometimes, you always seem to be right about a lot of things. Now, I look back and question how I survived the first 18 years of my life without you.

I never experienced separation anxiety with anyone in life, but then I met you. We are those two people that run aimlessly into each other’s arms in the middle of a crowd of people or across the parking lot. We could only be separated for a few hours or a weekend, and you would think we have spent months apart. We talk for hours about our past mistakes, and how we learned from them. We creep on each other’s old pictures from high school, and we question each other’s judgments. We talk about the future, and how great our speeches at each other’s wedding will be one day. We talk about how the guy in our life is being a jerk, and you best believe that long text he received wasn’t constructed by just one of us. It's safe to say that I found that one friend I have been for searching my whole life. I just met you not even two years ago, and I swear I've known you my whole life.

College wouldn’t be the same without you. In fact, my life would not be complete without you. You were the missing piece in my heart. You were the missing photos on my wall. You were the missing phone number in my contact list. You were the missing piece of sanity I needed in my life. You were the missing friend that I was destined to meet. You have made my life complete, and you are the true definition of a best friend.

So here's to all our future endeavors - may they all be exciting and worthwhile. I am forever thankful to have you by my side from this point on.

Love you dearly,

Your Lifelong Friend