A Letter To My Great Uncle

A Letter To My Great Uncle

It's been nine months, but I still miss you every day.

81
A Letter To My Great Uncle
Alyssa Gormley

When I was younger, I had three big dreams. Get an artistic job at Disney, marry my childhood best friend, and meet my great Uncle Gerry (in good health). Unfortunately, my first dream is out of luck. If I would've kept up with my arts, maybe I could reach for it — but I didn't. The second dream is gone; I'm not friends with my childhood love anymore. But the last dream, well, it's still a dream of mine.

9 months ago, my great Uncle Gerry died.

My dad said to me the night of his death that "we've had time to prepare" and that "at the age of 88, it is a blessing for him to be in a better place". Except… after 9 months of thinking about it... I don't think anything in life can really be prepared. Humans can circle in their emotions and mentally live out scenarios — but no preparation can brace one for what happens at the moment.

I didn't know my great Uncle Gerry I wish I would've known. And my dream is now… impossible. But, through my great Uncle Gerry, I desire a new dream: to live a life as great as his. To travel and to live to the highest extent: as if there is no tomorrow. You lived a great life that I wish I had seen more of. I'm constantly thinking about you. And though 9 months have passed, it hasn't made me miss you any less. I love you, Uncle Gerry. My heart will be always with you.