How to Deal with Depression

How to Deal with Depression

Give that darkness the ol' 1-2
116

Depression, as the NIMH in a 2012 census states, affects 6.9 percent of the US population, or 15 million people. There are different forms of depression: major depressive disorder, persistent depressive disorder, manic-depressive illness, and other mental illnesses that cause depression. But there is one common thing that comes with depression: it is treatable. Here’s a list of things you can do to help with depression in you or those around you.

1. Exercise

One thing that happens during depression is a lack of energy and purpose. This changes with exercise, as it causes the release of hormones that are good for your brain and can actually give you energy. I'm not saying tobecome a bodybuilder and focus your entire life on it, un less you want to. I'm only saying to at least do some quick exercises to release some dopamine and feel good about yourself.

2. Make a Schedule

Another big thing when it comes to depression is the dread of events, purpose, and wasting time. In order to counteract this, make a schedule. Focus on what you are going to do and what’s happening next within a short span of time, rather than dreading an entire day.

3. Find a Hobby

This goes along with making a schedule. Sometimes, having something to look forward to can get you through a bad day. These hobbies can be anything, such as going for a jog, reading a book, playing a game, watching a movie, and so on.

4. Diet

Having a healthy diet is a key way to help with many mental illnesses, mainly depression. Just think, your brain gets nutrients from what you eat, so a heathy diet will create a healthy brain.

5. Counseling

While it has gotten better in recent years, there is still a negative stigma for people who go to counseling. However, it can be very beneficial to your mental health and, on college campuses, it comes free with tuition. At best, it allows you to delve into your problems and figure out deep rooted problems that may be causing what your experiencing. At worst, it gives you a non-judgmental person to talk to. Which leads me to my next point:

6. Telling Friends and Family

One of the things I have done to make it easier on friends and family is to be open with them about depression. Telling people about it and how you experience it puts a face to depression, which can help a person either sympathize or at least try to be more understanding. What’s better, to text you friends a lie that your busy and cannot hang out, or saying “hey, I’m just really not having that best day today. Raincheck?”