Dating To Not Be Single

Dating To Not Be Single

The pressure behind dating and being in a relationship.

10
Dating To Not Be Single
Personal

Dating (v.) : Of a couple, to be in the early stages of a relationship where they go out on dates to find out what each other is like, as a prelude to actually being fully fledged couple. – Urban Dictionary

Finding the perfect someone is usually the main conversation during girls night out. Going on a first date is probably the most awkward thing because you are nervous about meeting a stranger, nervous you are going to embarrass yourself, and nervous that maybe the spark won’t be there. Dating can be hard because you have to weave through the bad to get to the good. Recently I've found myself swiping left or swiping right in hopes of finding the prince charming that I have been dreaming about ever since I was little. So far I have weaved through the bad hoping maybe soon I will get to the good.

This whole dating thing is very new to me, so I am taking it one awkward date at a time. Trying to find “the one” has got me thinking why do I try so hard to impress someone that I barely know and why am I so fascinated on having that special someone in my life? I may know the answer to my own question. Every day I see couples, my friends are either married or have their boyfriend or girlfriend and I look at them and think, "I want that". I want my person to walk through life with to share that funny moment, sad moment, or special moment with. As I look closer at the same couples I realize that, yes they are cute and I want to hold hands with that special guy (I really do), but it takes work. It’s not that easy to go on the very first date and say, "Yes, he is the one! No more awkward first dates."

Easy is swiping left or right, no or yes, easy is not going on that date and opening yourself up to a stranger. Yes, I want that person I can share any and everything with, but it’s not the end of the world if I don’t right now. Sometimes I think there is this pressure around your peers and society to have a boyfriend or girlfriend in your life so you can get married and have the children and be that happy family. Especially being a female, I have to worry about that ticking time clock of finding a man and having babies before I "get too old".

With that being said, I found myself putting pressure on the first date to make sure it goes perfect so the second date will happen. I end up losing my personality in the date because, of course, I don’t want to come off as 'being too much'. If I don’t find that special someone now at the age of 22 I feel like having a family one day will never happen because of that ticking clock. I believe the pressure of finding and having the one will always be there, whether from family members, friends, or just society in general; however, I don’t need to put that pressure on myself. I need to enjoy this crazy thing we call life while being single or being with a special someone just as long as I'm making the most out of my life and doing the things I want to not because there’s pressure behind it.

Dating (v.) : Entertaining, Interesting, Frustrating, Confusing, and most of all, the worst and best thing that can happen. – Single Girl