To The Girl Who's Afraid To Date Again

To The Girl Who's Afraid To Date Again

Your beautiful heart's been broken, and yes, your innocence has been bruised.

3985
To The Girl Who's Afraid To Date Again
Brooke Cagle

I know you've been through the lowest valley, with a smile on your face when others asked how you were doing. You've cried more nights than he knows. You've carried such pain that wasn't yours to bear. You had such hope, but now you're barely hanging onto who you are.

If I could be there to hold your hand, I would. But I think there's something more important to be done, or rather, something more important for you to hear.

You are worth far more than you feel right now. You are worth far more than he ever treated you. You are worth far more than anyone can ever tell you. You are worth far more than you even know. Your beautiful heart's been broken, and yes, your innocence has been bruised. You've learned one of life's hardest lessons for young women: some guys are selfish jerks. They're not worth your time, but you didn't realize this until it was too late and you'd given part of your heart away. Now you're left wondering if it was ever worth it.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, precious friend. I'm sorry he didn't see what a treasure you are. But I'm glad you finally saw him for who he truly is. Too many girls never really open their eyes to the truth until it's too late. It still hurts, but you made it to the other side.

I know you've heard this so many times, but I believe it with all of my heart. There is so much more that's waiting for you, good things that will make you smile and come alive. There are many passions you will develop, many friends that will become like sisters, and many hugs and laughs that will make you feel the joy that you haven't felt in months. And one day, there will be a man who will celebrate all of this with you. He will be there for you, but he will give you the space you need to live your life to the fullest. He will love you, cherish you, and most importantly, guard the precious heart he has been entrusted with.

But dear girl, please be careful in the meantime. I know you may be afraid to date again, and sometimes it'll feel like the trust issues are still there. You're afraid to be hurt again because you don't know if your heart can take anymore. Some people will tell you to push that fear to the wayside and dive back into dating, but there's a better way.

First, take enough time to rediscover who you are. You're going to feel like you're ready to date again in a few weeks, probably on the high of anger from the realization of what a jerk your ex was. But if you go racing into another relationship, it's not going to end well. It'll take longer to heal. You can't fix a major wound with a band-aid. Take time for the stitches to set in. You'll have to face everything that happened, but trust me, you'll feel so much better in the long run.

You will get to the place where you're the most confident you've ever been. You'll know who you are and what (and who) you deserve, and you won't settle. You'll continue to be kind to others, but you'll guard your heart like the precious jewel it is. And as you talk to guys and develop friendships, you'll have a better sense of who to stay away from and who you can trust.

Trust your gut. If something's not right, don't get caught in the trap again. Leave, shut them out, do whatever it takes to guard your heart. Don't set yourself on fire to keep them happy.

Finally, take time to focus on the wonderful relationships in your life outside of dating. Spend time with your friends and family. Have plenty of girls' nights, and laugh so much that your stomach hurts. Call your family. Tell them you love them and plan fun days out or movie nights in. Cultivate these relationships because they will produce so much beauty in your life. They will remind you of who you are and give you the tough love that you need when you're struggling. Listen with an open mind, and love with an open heart.

I believe in you, sweet girl, and I believe in your future. The best is yet to come.