Why Dancing It Out Can Help Relieve Stress

Grabbing a group of your favorite people, putting on your favorite song, and dancing it out may help with relieving stress.

1017
Everyday Health

I am a firm believer in dancing it out.

Dancing out the stress, the frustration, or just the good old fashion awkward moments.

Dancing until you physically can’t anymore.

We’ve all had our weird quirks that get us through our toughest times. But for me there is nothing more refreshing then grabbing my favorite people, putting on our favorite song and dancing without a care in the world until we are laughing so hard that we have forgotten what has us so upset or stressed in the first place.

Having our little dance parties first started as way of avoiding having to do the dishes after dinner. We would turn the radio on, dance around, and laugh until we we knew we couldn’t avoid the dishes forever. But then we started opening up to each other while flailing our arms above our heads and twirling around in circles. I would tell her about my day and and she would tell me about hers. Then it began to turn it us every couple of days turning on the music, dancing, and talking about things that had been bothering us or things we were worried about but afraid to bring up or things we were happy about and wanted to celebrate.

It was a time when we could hit pause on whatever was going on in our lives, turn on our favorite song, and enjoy each others company.

I once read in a study done by the American Journal of Health Education that dancing is way of emotional expression and stress reduction because dance helps us to channel positive energy.

It doesn’t matter if your dancing on Broadway, taking classes, or doing what I’m doing and dancing for fun. Dancing is shown to help make you happier no matter what kind you’re doing.

When I tell people I dance out my problems, my worries, or fears, they usually look at me as if I have three heads. I can understand why because it is unusual for someone to have spontaneous dance parties with someone as a way to relieve stress. But it works. And trust me there is nothing more encouraging then looking across from you and seeing your friends, or your sister, or brother, laughing, and dancing in the silliest, craziest way to your favorite song.

I believe in the power of dancing it out. Next time you feel stressed, frustrated, or in a desperate need of a good dance party turn on your favorite song, grab your favorite people and dance it out. I promise you won't regret it.