Creating A Stress-Free Summer

Creating A Stress-Free Summer

Focusing on Yourself.

21
Creating A Stress-Free Summer

When I think of summer, a few things pop into my head immediately: sunshine, swimming, tan legs, frozen yogurt, reading a great new book, and relaxation. The last one is the most important in my opinion. For most of us, we are on a "four year summer plan." After you turn that tassel at graduation comes the real world and that might mean saying bye-bye to the kind of summers you remember.

We all have different plans for the summer. Some of us have internships with amazing companies that are molding us for the real world. Others have the typical "summer jobs" with minimum wage pay and crappy bosses who need better people skills. Then there are some who decide to take the time off from 10 page papers and multiple choice exams to lounge and relax.

My summer (so-far) has not been what I thought it would be. But hey, that's life, isn't it?! I've let stressful situations consume my life and I do not want to waste anymore time dwelling on those tough situations but instead focus my energy on the good things in life and spending time with the people that truly matter.

Regardless of your "summer situation", here are some ideas to eliminate that stress and enjoy yourself.

1. Start Reading.

Let's get real: I probably haven't read a book since high school...and it was required. Why not spend your time tanning by the pool while reading about a romantic summer love story or something that will actually make you laugh out loud. Half Price Books is a great place to find these amazing summer reads and when you are done, you can sell back your summer stash of books and get a little bit of money to go towards the boring books (aka that stupid textbook from the bookstore that you will never be able to sell back).

2. Have A Spa Day.

I bet you are not the only one going through some kind of stressful situation this summer. Grab your friends and head to the spa for some mani-pedi time! You can sit there and complain about the boss at your internship being a jerk while getting a massage to ease the frustration. In the end, you will have more than glamorous nails that will make you feel like a million bucks.

3. Get A Gym Membership.

Want to get in shape while also taking out anger? Then a workout is what you need! I have been working out a lot more lately due to my stress and it has made a positive impact on my body. After the pain and soreness subside from "leg day" you will feel a sense of relief from taking out that frustration of yours on an innocent treadmill.

4. Get Out Of The House And Go.

With friends, a boyfriend, or siblings...go explore the city you are in! I know moving away from home to go to school has made me appreciate my hometown a lot more. Now with that appreciation, I love finding new things to do. Go find a park and have a picnic. Go feed ducks at the lake. Go find a cute little boutique in town and buy yourself something fun. Basically, enjoy what you have around you and make yourself happy with your surroundings.