Should I work out with my partner?

Exercising With Your Significant Other Is No Sweat For Some Couples, But It Doesn't Always Work Out

Can your physical health and relationship benefit from your significant other being your gym partner?

156
https://www.445aw.afrc.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/1161804/445th-asts-airman-tackles-obesity-to-join-air-force/

Exercise and physical health are publicly known to make people feel good and have lasting energy.

Often times people exercise alone, but other times people have a gym partner. A gym partner is someone who has decided to work out with you. The two of you may coordinate exercises together, and spot each other when appropriate. But what if your gym partner was not just a friend, coworker, family member, or classmate, but your significant other? Could working out with your significant other be conducive to your physical health and relationship as a whole?

Having a gym partner in general seems to be rewarding and motivating. Your gym partner can encourage you to reach a goal you set for the day. The second you begin to falter or come short, they can root you on and help you push through, with the security that they are there in case something goes wrong.

Your gym partner is also there to engage in casual conversation if you are a person who likes to talk to others when you work out. Your gym partner can positively distract you with a conversation, while you smoothly go through an exercise routine.

Your gym partner can also allow your workout to run quicker. If you are using one machine or bench while your gym partner is using another, the two of you can switch once you are done, without having to wait for an unknown stranger to complete an unknown set.

Is it possible for your significant other to do all of that?

The short answer is yes.

But working out with your partner may not necessarily work for everyone.

If your significant other does not value physical health and exercise as you do, then working out with them can be tasking and stressful. You or your significant other could feel as if the other is pressuring them to work out in a particular way, and no one should feel as if they are being forced to do anything.

What could potentially be a healthy competition, can end up being an unhealthy one. The two of you could be competing against each other in physical health so much that one person may care more for themselves more than the other, that one person may overdo a workout to prove something to the other, and that one person must feel like they must win while the other loses.

Though the point to a healthy competition is to not compete against each other but to be on the same team competing against your individual goals.

Everyone needs support more than they think. And as someone who is supposed to be one of your main supporters, your significant other should never be against you, but beside you.

Working out together could be an opportunity for you both to grow collectively and find new ways to support each other. It can even be a novel experience for the both of you. If neither one of you have taken a High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) course, maybe doing that together could be thrilling, stimulating, and overall enjoyable for your relationship.

As long as you have good intentions, and you and your significant other understand each other's goals, then working out together could potentially be better than working out by yourself.