I Couldn't Sleep Last Night

I Couldn't Sleep Last Night

Just a bit of lonesome poetry

45
I Couldn't Sleep Last Night

I wrote this shortly after a breakup. I hope you enjoy my midnight poetic blurb.

I couldn’t sleep last night because the moon does not exist with the sun.
I couldn’t sleep last night because while my spirit wanted to walk, my mind wanted to run.
I couldn’t sleep last night because you haunted my dreams, but somehow quieted the screams tracing my throat from the nightmares.
I couldn’t sleep last night because I reached for you, but you weren’t there.
I couldn’t sleep last night because your touch is burned into my skin like ink to a page and
I couldn’t sleep last night.

I couldn’t sleep last night because the darkness meant I saw you.
I couldn’t sleep last night because the light reminded me of all that was and now all that may never be.
I couldn’t sleep last night because all I could think about is the way you kissed me and the way I cried my whole way home.
I couldn’t sleep last night because the moon shattered my heart into the tiny stars but it was much less beautiful than those in the sky and I
Couldn’t
Sleep
Last night.