Coping With Test Anxiety

Coping With Test Anxiety

On bad grades, but not because you didn't study.

24
Coping With Test Anxiety
Project Renaissance

My anxiety affects my life in many different ways. I have anxiety that makes it hard for me to talk to people I don’t know. My anxiety makes me standoffish and very insecure. I have anxiety that makes second-guess whether or not my friends like me. I have anxiety that tells me everything I’m doing is wrong. The anxiety that affects me most at college, is the anxiety that comes over me when I have a quiz or exam. I didn’t realize for a very long time that my anxiety was actually called anxiety. Last year, my freshman year of college, was very difficult for me.

Most of my classes had a quiz every week, my professors do this so that we kept good study habits. Instead of these quizzes helping me, caused me a lot of mental anguish. Every week on the day of my quiz I would have several anxiety attacks. I would pace around my room, unable to calm myself down enough to sit at my desk. I would stare at my texts books and re-read the same information over and over because I just couldn’t absorb any of the information in front of me. I would lay awake at night thinking of everything I could have done to be better, do better, and unable to bring myself to do it each time.

I failed many quizzes and exams last year. I would study for hours, a week in advance to give myself time, and still, I would fail. There is the belief that your grade if reflective of the time you spend learning, but this was untrue. I would go to my professors for help, and they would sit with me each day and go over the material with me, and I still didn’t get good grades. How could this be possible? My professors understood that I was trying to do well, that I wasn’t just being lazy. For this, they did everything they could to help me pass my classes and I’m very grateful. There’s a certain level of anxiety that is good for you, it motivates you to do well. But then there’s a threshold, and anxiety past this threshold impairs you. This level of anxiety inhibits your ability to remember, your ability to rationalize. This is the level of anxiety I felt whenever I walked into a classroom. When I looked down at my exams my mind would go blank, I devoted time to each class and had nothing to show for it.

I tried everything to calm down before exams. I meditated, I listened to classical music, I listened to guided meditation, I took my exams in a private room. None of these things really helped my test anxiety. These things would help my anxiety when it was not academic related if I am anxious because I am feeling overwhelmed I run. If I am feeling anxious while I’m doing homework, then I listen to classical music. But when I am anxious taking an exam I have to push through it. My academic anxiety has improved greatly this year and the only factor that has seemed to change since last year is medication. Maybe it’s because I feel more comfortable at college, but when I’m in class I still feel like I don’t belong. I feel as though everyone sitting around me is much smarter than I am, and that I don’t have a right to be in the class. Rationally, I know this isn’t true, but anxiety doesn’t listen to rationale.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that the only way to cope with anxiety is medication. I know other people who have anxiety and don’t take any medication at all. Personally, I wasn’t able to win the battle with anxiety by myself. I take medication to give me an upper hand, and a most of the time it helps me win the battle altogether. This year I have taken quizzes and exams without anxiety and I do much better compare to when I am anxious.