7 Things To Do When You Want To Connect OFF Social Media

Feel A Lil' Better: Because You Can Still Connect While Disconnecting From Social Media

11070

I don't know if you've heard, but there's a lot going on right now, particularly in relation to George Floyd's death, Black Lives Matter, and public protest of racial injustice in the United States. While we can all agree that this deserves conversations, change, and actionable good, social media arguments with Great Aunt Linda are not where social change begins and ends. Spending too much time scrolling through your phone has never been healthy, but now it's even more addicting — what does that one person from my hometown say about this? How can I further education within discussions? Am I posting enough?

Social media, while an amazing avenue for sparking conversations, is not the end all be all. It is simply a starting point for real-life action that needs to take place. While you may be able to have meaningful connections through an app, entering an overwhelmed state of mind isn't going to help anyone. There is still so much connection to be done offline, where both your mental sanity and effective change can take place.

Each week, we're bringing you the best resources and influencers to give you a health boost. Here's what we're following this week regarding how to connect while you're disconnecting with social media.

Make a helpful to-do list.

When the world seems to be too much, making a list of helpful, effective tasks that you CAN accomplish gives you a sense of control. Working on productive things you can to do help create positive change will is more effective than getting lost in those Facebook comments.

Read "Playing in the Dark," by Toni Morrison.

There's a reason that Toni Morrison won a Nobel Prize in Literature — her books are beautiful, truthful accounts of what it's like to be Black in the United States. "Playing in the Dark" has a lesson for everyone, and is a great read for education and perspective.

SEE ALSO: 13 Books About Race Absolutely Every American Should Read, Especially Now

Listen to "The United States of Anxiety"

History textbooks have left out a lot of stories that we still need to hear. Listen to some of them one podcast episode at a time with "The United States of Anxiety."

Call your representatives.  

Your elected officials are in an office that should serve it's people's best interests. You — yes, you — have the ability to give them a call and tell them what change you want to see and why (for some pointers, check out this list). If you're one of those people who hates talking on the phone, you can even email them!

Call your mom 

Social media is great for keeping in touch with your old next-door neighbor, but oftentimes the most fruitful conversations happen individually. Call your mom. Call your dad. Call your sister, your best friend, your cousin, or your old volleyball teammate. Have hard, honest conversations about growth with the people in your life.

Meditate and reflect.

It's easy to run as fast as you can until you burn out. Take some time each day to breathe, sit with your thoughts, and reflect on the growth you've seen and the growth you're working toward. Even five minutes can help realign your focus and re-energize your mind.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others. 

There are many ways to be a helpful friend and ally. Take care of yourself so you can best take care of others.

Is there a wellness resource you'd like to see featured? Send an email to lily.moe@theodysseyonline.com.

As an Amazon partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.